APX 6000 Radio with XE RSM

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tobey
New User

APX 6000 Radio with XE RSM

Post by tobey »

Hello I have a APX 6000 radio with XE RSM. I have firmware R14.00.04 and running CPS 16. Our system is analog. What is the best setting to get the most out of the XE remote speaker mic? And guidance would be great. Thank you.
resqguy911

Re: APX 6000 Radio with XE RSM

Post by resqguy911 »

Our experience is that the inherent features of the XE RSM override any radio profile/audio settings when attached.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Not true at all (unless it's some weird 6000 thing???) Audio profile settings very much make a difference in DAQ from the XE mic.

Here's what I came up with. These settings were optimized for FD use but I've found they work well for ham or general usage: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 72#p496412
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:Not true at all (unless it's some weird 6000 thing???) Audio profile settings very much make a difference in DAQ from the XE mic.

Here's what I came up with. These settings were optimized for FD use but I've found they work well for ham or general usage: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 72#p496412
I can confirm these settings work pretty damn well... a noticeable improvement from the default, and about two metric ass-tons better than our Harris radios.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

tvsjr wrote:... and about two metric ass-tons better than our Harris radios.
To be fair, that's not a high bar to cross. :lol:

But since you've brought that up... I've trialed Harris, Kenwood, and EFJ subscribers on our system, and the only ones that sounded halfway decent were the EFJ Viking VP radios. Coincidentally (or not) they also had the best ergonomics and UI of the three.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:
tvsjr wrote:... and about two metric ass-tons better than our Harris radios.
To be fair, that's not a high bar to cross. :lol:

But since you've brought that up... I've trialed Harris, Kenwood, and EFJ subscribers on our system, and the only ones that sounded halfway decent were the EFJ Viking VP radios. Coincidentally (or not) they also had the best ergonomics and UI of the three.
We (well, His Majesty) did no tests... the county bought Harris, so that's what we went with too. A few other departments went EFJ and have been quite happy with them. I've never played with one, personally.
MFD195DFC
New User

Post by MFD195DFC »

Can anyone help me with an XE mic issue. NNTN8203 on a APX6000xe and the mic is intermittent with TX and cutting in and out. Very odd Deal. Can't figure it out. :o :o :o
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

MFD195DFC wrote:Can anyone help me with an XE mic issue. NNTN8203 on a APX6000xe and the mic is intermittent with TX and cutting in and out. Very odd Deal. Can't figure it out. :o :o :o
I'm assuming you've tried basic troubleshooting? Pulled the mic off the radio and tested the radio without the mic, is it exhibiting the same issue without the mic? Checked all connections on the mic specifically the cable connection at the mic head?
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

MFD195DFC wrote:Can anyone help me with an XE mic issue. NNTN8203 on a APX6000xe and the mic is intermittent with TX and cutting in and out. Very odd Deal. Can't figure it out. :o :o :o
What's the history of the mic? They are notorious for cable failures.
fyrmdc
New User

Post by fyrmdc »

resqguy911 wrote:
We are having the same issue with most of ours. We got them less than two years ago and they are failing left and right. Radios work fine without the RSMs and with new RSMs (at ~$500 each).

Dave
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

fyrmdc wrote:
resqguy911 wrote:
We are having the same issue with most of ours. We got them less than two years ago and they are failing left and right. Radios work fine without the RSMs and with new RSMs (at ~$500 each).

Dave
Interesting... we run a mix of A/B/C revision mics purchased from 2015 on and the failures have only been sporadic. Typically once they dry out they're fine... getting the guys in the field to shake 'em out and let them dry before running crying to the radio shop has been the big issue.
fyrmdc
New User

Post by fyrmdc »

Dave[/quote]
Interesting... we run a mix of A/B/C revision mics purchased from 2015 on and the failures have only been sporadic. Typically once they dry out they're fine... getting the guys in the field to shake 'em out and let them dry before running crying to the radio shop has been the big issue.[/quote]

Some of these radios haven't seen water in a while. I have about 4 right now that are having issues and I can't get a straight answer from Motorola about them. And the replacement XE500's that I ordered in July are backordered until January 2018, does it seem like they know about the problem?

Dave
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

The problem is not in the mic head and does not have anything to do with water.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

What issue(s) are you having then? Internal wire breaks in the cable? Connector failure?

I'm not questioning the validity of what you're saying, just wondering if this is something that I need to watch out for...

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”