APX7500 Powering off/down after programming

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SYNTORX71MAN
What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String

APX7500 Powering off/down after programming

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

Hey gang,
I just wrote a codeplug using CPS16.00.00 into a APX7500 remote mount 05 head. Firmware and DSP are 12.00.00 in the radio.
Clone radio said write successful but now the radio powers up and display says APX7500 then immediate powers back down. Tried to program and or read codeplug again but CPS won't recognize radio.

Any insight would be appreciated.
When that rope tightens round your neck, You feel the Devil bite your @ss!!
Mackinaw
New User
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: APX7500 Powering off/down after programming

Post by Mackinaw »

It is quite likely you programmed the radio for ignition sense required, either manually, or because you dragged and dropped it from a radio that had it set that way. If this is the case, simply apply your +12v to the ignition sense pin and you'll be good to go.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Just a shot in the dark but did you (accidentally or intentionally) change the ignition type?
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

tvsjr wrote:Just a shot in the dark but did you (accidentally or intentionally) change the ignition type?
did that once. LOL. GARY
SYNTORX71MAN

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

I was programming a standard agency wide codeplug for multiple radios keeping the clone screen open after each radio. I made sure my systems keys were uploaded and I changed all the P25 trunked system radio ID info for each and that particular radio. I believe our standard agency wide codeplug is programmed up for soft power on/off with ignition key. I did 3 other radios in that session (using mic port and factory motorola cable) and this is the only one with the hiccup. No error codes display just a quick power up and back down after the successful clone write. So it has me perplexed...LOL
intel861
New User

Post by intel861 »

First thing I would do, is put 12v on the ignition sense to make sure it hasn't been changed. This would determine if there is an issue with the ignition sense parameters.

Second thing, would be attempt to read from the radio vs the control head. I have ran into a unit one time that appeared to not power up and it actually was. The control cable was faulty and was shorting out the control head. I could read/write that radio just fine from the radio not the control head, just would only get lights on the display. You may have to move your ignition sense to the radio if you are using the control head for you ignition sense.

Third thing, are you hearing any audio when pushing the buttons? Have you attempted to push the dim button? The dim level may be at the lowest point.

May sound stupid, but sometimes the simplest things cause the biggest headaches.

Last but not least, it could possibly be a defective unit. I have depoted a few radios for defective displays. That is assuming you can hear tones, but no display.

Good luck hunting.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Guys... he says he has a remote mount radio. If he didn't have 12V ignition sense to the head it wouldn't even power on. And a fully-dimmed O5 head still displays text. ;p

Absent some hardware issue that occurred after programming that particular radio you likely have a brick. Off to Juarez with it. I assume you've already checked your programming setup, pulled the brick and put it on the bench, etc.
SYNTORX71MAN

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

Tried to reread the codeplug but get the can't find radio message, I also tried reading from the remote mounted case port and same deal. Do APX's usually display fail codes like XTLS's? That is what troubles me the O5 head powering up and the display saying APX7500 (no other info) and powering right back down. :(

Looks like I might pull the case and take to a local M dealer to see if there is anything they can do. Also this is a brand new radio installed in a brand new unit. Never programmed before.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

If the brick was totally dead you would see FAIL 01/90 and the head would go into maintenance mode. So the brick is still communicating with the head, you just can't get it to wake up.

I have only seen this once before, and it was when a radio with a bad ignition sense line was reprogrammed for ignition-only power up. Since it sounds like you haven't benched the radio yet that would be my first step. Eliminate the vehicle as the source of the problem.
SYNTORX71MAN

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

Thanks I will check the ignition sense first to eliminate the vehicle then go from there.
SSE5000ASTRO

Post by SSE5000ASTRO »

put the radio into flashzap mode , you can read and write it
check further

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”