APX7000XE to APX7000 conversion

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NorcalFF
New User

APX7000XE to APX7000 conversion

Post by NorcalFF »

I am attempting to rebuild an APX7000XE and I am wondering if it is possible to convert it to a APX7000? Is it as simple as placing the internals into a non XE chassis, with the proper top control assembly, and a non XE case? or is it much more involved than that? Thanks for any info you can provide.
tvsjr

Re: APX7000XE to APX7000 conversion

Post by tvsjr »

Front case, speaker, and control top assembly. I don't know what the control top costs for a non-XE... the XE version is nearly $600.

I just can't imagine wanting to convert an XE to a non-XE. The XEs are teh hawtness :lol:
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Currently on eBay a seller has several frames with control tops for less than the price of one new one. Might be worth looking at.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Don't forget the specific tools needed for the assembly/disassembly, the chassis is the same, but you will need all the plastic parts.

I have the tools, I can do the changeover and align your radio on my 3920.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by NorcalFF »

com501 wrote:Currently on eBay a seller has several frames with control tops for less than the price of one new one. Might be worth looking at.
I have seen those and am seriously considering them. Thanks

spectragod wrote:Don't forget the specific tools needed for the assembly/disassembly, the chassis is the same, but you will need all the plastic parts.

I might take you up on that offer. I have found 2 different part numbers for the chassis, which made me think that they were actually different. That would be great if they are the same. One less part to buy.
0100930420 for the XE
01009304001 for Non-XE.

What I would really like to find is just the top bezel in black instead of a whole new assembly. The control assembly I have is in good shape, except for the bezel. I have been able to find the Non-XE bezel by itself but not for the XE. And I cant seem to find a part number for it. Any idea if it is available by itself or where I might be able to find one?
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

NorcalFF wrote:
spectragod wrote:Don't forget the specific tools needed for the assembly/disassembly, the chassis is the same, but you will need all the plastic parts.

I might take you up on that offer. I have found 2 different part numbers for the chassis, which made me think that they were actually different. That would be great if they are the same. One less part to buy.
0100930420 for the XE
01009304001 for Non-XE.

What I would really like to find is just the top bezel in black instead of a whole new assembly. The control assembly I have is in good shape, except for the bezel. I have been able to find the Non-XE bezel by itself but not for the XE. And I cant seem to find a part number for it. Any idea if it is available by itself or where I might be able to find one?
+1 for Darren.. He's a great guy and converted mine. The XE is great but it's really overkill and klunky unless you are a fireman.

FWIW, the fat channel knob makes a world of difference in the non-XE models.
Jake

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”