Enable RSSI In Codeplug

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

Enable RSSI In Codeplug

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Does anyone know how to enable the RSSI indication in APX8000/8500 CPS? I know you must check the Conventional RSSI Display in the pertinent checkbox, but I just can't find this particualr checkbox in the latest APX 29 CPS. Any help much appreciated!
alex
Administrator

Re: Enable RSSI In Codeplug

Post by alex »

It is in each personality under features. Make sure it is turned on for each conventional personality you want the RSSI to show up on. Any channel in that personality will then show the RSSI. Remember the feature does not work during scan.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Thanks very much for all of your kind help on this, Alex! Also, thanks for the tip on the RSSI not working during the scan function. I was not aware of that.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Hey, Alex! So, I made the changes in the codeplug, and with much kind thanks to you, I now have RSSI indication for all conventional personalities, and it works like a champ. Yahoo!

We have over 200 personalities in our current codeplug, thus requiring 200+ manual programming steps (e.g., navigate to Features, check the enable RSSI box, and set timer to the max of 255 secs). Is there any way to make a global change in the codeplug, so I could enable RSSI in ALL conventional Personalities, thus automatically making the same changes to ALL other 199 conventional personalities? Sure would save a ton of typing!

Thanks VERY much, Alex!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

You can use table view in CPS.

If you click Conventional Personality (not ON a personality but ON the name in the tree view) you will get the Table view which lists all your personalities in the radio in a giant grid. You can't edit frequencies in this view. The other way to get to the view is to click on a personality and then above where you would go between personalities (right/left arrows) there's a picture of a grid click that.

You can then scroll all the way to the right at the bottom until you get to Conventional RSSI at the top of the table. (Should be almost to the end - but depends on the radio feature set).

Click it on, right click "Fill Down", and it will turn it on in all the personalities for you.

Based on size of codeplug the scrolling operations and loading of the grid can take a long time. Newer versions of CPS are now 64 bit, which, on a newer computer might make it "better."

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Wow, OK, Alex, I will definitely give that a whirl! Thanks so much for your insight!
C17LVFD

Post by C17LVFD »

200 conventional personalities is a LOT. I know the APX Migration tool loves to make a mess out of a APX codeplug. Idk if that’s how you ended up with 200 personalities or not but that’s what came to mind.

Quite likely you can shrink down the personalities and cluster them by Analog, mixed mode, P25, particular MDC or QCII systems, zone assignments, geographic location etc.

I’ve got customers with well over 1500 channels and maybe 20-30 conventional personalities and 20-30 Trunking personalizes on 20+ systems.

My point is it’s a BEAR to try to manage more personalities than needed, so consolidate them where possible will make CPS run faster and reduce the likelihood of missing a checkbox somewhere.

Respectfully,
Seth
Seth
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Yup, you’re exactly right! I was being lazy, and over time I kept adding new personalities, but when I get time, I do
plan to do a bunch of consolidating. I did take Alex’s advice, and did the fill down move, and it worked in an instant! Yahoo!
C17LVFD

Post by C17LVFD »

Copy.

Also using excel as a landing pad to help organize everything works pretty well for copying n pasting in and out of apx. The import and export of the XML files is also helpful. You can move things around pretty quickly once you get the hang of it, far faster with less errors than the old hunt n peck Method.

Good luck!
Seth
Seth
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Thanks, Seth. I will take your advice, and use Excel to help cull everything together, as I move things around and consolidate. Will be delightful to get down to way fewer numbers of Personalities, for sure!

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”