Transmitting data from custom accessory

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! Examples are out of band, scan list increases, other general trickery. What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
Dystroxic
New User

Transmitting data from custom accessory

Post by Dystroxic »

I have an XTS5000 UHF R1 that I'm using in the amateur radio band (70cm). I'd like to build a custom accessory for it (using the "Universal Connector Interface") that can use the radio to transmit data packets. There's some discussion of this in the service manual (SB9600 something), but no details that I can find anywhere. Any advice on where to start with this?
Jim202

Re: Transmitting data from custom accessory

Post by Jim202 »

Dystroxic wrote:I have an XTS5000 UHF R1 that I'm using in the amateur radio band (70cm). I'd like to build a custom accessory for it (using the "Universal Connector Interface") that can use the radio to transmit data packets. There's some discussion of this in the service manual (SB9600 something), but no details that I can find anywhere. Any advice on where to start with this?

Your going to need to provide more details as to just what kind of data packets your talking about and how your expecting to use it.

The accessory connector can be used for a number of applications. You can get a bad speaker mic and use the connector to make your connections. With some care you can move the pins around to get the connections you think you need.

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Transmitting data from custom accessory

Post by wavetar »

Dystroxic wrote: Any advice on where to start with this?
Yes, choose a different radio. Transmitting low speed packet data via radio requires a 'flat' (no filtering or emphasis applied) TX input at the accessory connector (or a means to inject it somewhere that accomplishes the same thing), which doesn't exist on the XTS5000 connector. The SB9600 you read about is an internal bus communication protocol. It exists at the connector to interface remote speaker mics with display & volume control. You can't get the radio to transmit data via SB9600.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “ASTRO Experimental - How to do things a little out of the box”