HACK O'DA MONTH-ADD DISPLAY TO YOUR SINGLE IMPRES CHARGER!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! Examples are out of band, scan list increases, other general trickery. What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
haddenharley
New User

Re: HACK O'DA MONTH-ADD DISPLAY TO YOUR SINGLE IMPRES CHARGER!

Post by haddenharley »

That looks pretty good... If you wanted to get really into it, you could go with a hinge so that the display housing can fold semi-flush with the side of the charger when not in use (e.g. a dumb battery) and flip out when needed. I wonder if the display would fit in an old Advisor Gold pager case.
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

Is there anyone willing to do this mod for me? I have the charger and display, I just dont have the talent or time.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

That is a lot of work, I hope I can find someone who is willing to do it.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I did my LCD setup exactly as shown in the photos, sort of with the LCD hanging out the side of the charger, but it obviously couldn't be left in that condition. The answer was a Radio Shack plastic box. After some careful measurements (remember: measure twice and cut once) I used a 1/8 inch drill to cut outline holes in the box, then finished off the opening with a file. The LCD's board fits the box nicely and is held in position with foam rubber. Then I stuck the box to the side of the charger with double-sided tape. The size of the LCD box is 3&1/8WX2.0HX1&3/8 deep. I also wanted to put illumination in the box for the LCD but never got around to it; I probably could take power from the existing wiring, or if an additional wire was needed it wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone who wants to see what this looks like send me a PM and I'll send you a photo.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

WCHija wrote:Is there anyone willing to do this mod for me? I have the charger and display, I just dont have the talent or time.
pm sent
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Worked as advertised akardam.

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Further info on the Impres charger LCD readout unit...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

With reference to Batdude's fine post and additional data in this thread, I've been told that the new TRBO Impres charger's rear jack is intended for connection to the standard LCD readout unit. Just another improvement in our little, or maybe not so little, Motorola world.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: Further info on the Impres charger LCD readout unit...

Post by com501 »

Both the new Waris and Trbo Impres chargers have jacks that are fully compatible with the display mod that Peter did.

I have been using mine that way for a year or more.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

We'll havta give that a whirl since the other mod worked out so well. Our depot dude was liking it. Confirmed the jack is present on a box-o-chargers awaiting delivery to customer. Might not get a display in time to try on these, but prolly won't have to wait long.
databurst6o
New User

Re: HACK O'DA MONTH-ADD DISPLAY TO YOUR SINGLE IMPRES CHARGE

Post by databurst6o »

hello, does anyone know if this will work with WPLN4121BR 6 unit charger v3.4? if so, what version screens do i need to look for to match v3.4?
thank you, david
borisf

Post by borisf »

Does anyone know the pinout of the TRBO chargers RJ connector?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

borisf wrote:Does anyone know the pinout of the TRBO chargers RJ connector?
Did you bother to read the thread??

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 50#p305908
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

W&W has their own ImpresData reader in 2 flavors,1 is reader only and 2nd is reader/charger.
Tessco also carries it at quite a mark up ($296) or order it direct from W&W website for $150 ( includes choice of adaptor cup)
http://www.ww-manufacturing.com/impresdatareader.asp
I am not skilled enough to build my own out of parts that would end up costing same as this device.
nothing
Shuttle

Post by Shuttle »

Tally-ho!
I really hate to dig up an older thread, but continuing on the issue.
I've got my own waris suc and waiting for my trbo suc.
These both have the 4pin connector, and I'm not willing to put out the $90 needed at the moment.
Did anyone dig deeper into the data-bus available on the pin, how to interface and what data is supplied over it?

Furthermore, our local FD has a MUC in both vehicles (waris). We are planning on installing on-board computers for various usage.
Then it hit me. If it is possible to get the data from the suc, it most probably would be to get the same data from the 15 pin connector on the MUC?
Has anyone got a pinout or more information?
The fleet management interface with license is way above our budget, as the information is mostly "nice to know".
Furthermore, we are still figuring out our options for operating system as for the on-board computers.

Best regards, Martin
Shuttle

Post by Shuttle »

A quick follow-up of what I've discovered.
As some of you might already know, the battery contains two 1-wire chips. An EEPROM and a battery management circuit to store all data.
This was readable with the charger off using a simple DS9490 1-wire USB-adapter.
Applying power to the charger didn't work, as the chargers CPU acts as a 1-wire master for the battery-charger microlan (1-wire network/bus).

It would be most interesting to see some inside photos from either the charger interface units (CIU) or the impres data reader.
The data reader is most probably just an usb-rs232 chip followed by a rs232 1-wire interface.
Could someone be kind enough to pop one open and supply some photos?

Best regards, Martin

Return to “ASTRO Experimental - How to do things a little out of the box”