Tone Remote Adapter question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Tone Remote Adapter question

Post by BPD109 »

I have a question concerning the Motorola tone remote adapters, the command series (L1548, I think. It s the one that interfaces with 16 pin accessory connector). I want to use this tone remote with a CDM 1250...and it works ok with it.

Here is the question,
I heard that this remote adapter is capable of mode steering, (by that, I mean I would like to be able to change channels on the radio, from the console by pressing the f2, and f3, and so on keys on the console)...

Is there any special kind of configuration (in the CPS) that I need to set to use this feature? What are the dip switches on the back fo the remote adapter used to control?

Hope my questions are specific enough to get some help.

Thanks
You can only buy so many bags of lime before people begin asking questions...
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

You need to place the pins from the remote adapter that deal with the channel control into the aux i/o pins on the cdm mobile and program them in CPS as such....

they work in a binary fasion with the low number being the low bit.

in CPS you have channel select 1 2 3 and 4

for outputs from the tone remote, you have channel select 0 1 2 and 3

0 from the tone remote goes to 1 on the cdm, 1 goes to 2, 2 goes to 3, etc...

If you are only going to use say 4 channels, you only need to use 3 of the aux i/o pins to tell the radio what channels what to go to when selected on the tone remote.

Note, on the CDM mobiles, once it realizes you are using the I/O jack for channel steering you will not be able to use the front control panel to tell the radio what channel what to do, unless you unplug the I/O jack and power cycle the radio.

On the CDM750's, the channel select indicator blinks indicating it is in remote control.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

Kurt,

THANKS!

Now, question number two, which pins are the ones for channel steering on the remote adapter? I havent any diagram/information about them.
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

I'll have to look tomorrow @ work for you. I dont have a manual here at home =(.

You can actually make the tone remote adapter do 16 channels if you want to. In order to do that you'll have to re-program the 2050Hz tone which is normally monitor.

Most I've wired up before is 3 channels on a CDM-750. I actually wired the 4th bit wire, but didn't end up using it as the CDM only has 3x frequencies programmed in it.

Before that had to do similar with a CDM-750 wired to a zetron console that had 2x channels in it. Stuck a tone remote adapter on it and told the zetron channel card that instead of being local, change to tone and have 2x channels on it. Worked like a charm.

Nothing like trial by fire...

that and getting the MC2000 remotes to do QC-II paging when you've never done it before and the agency you're installing one for just let all the magic smoke out of their console in a thunderstorm.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

Thanks in advance.

Can't wait.
xmo

Post by xmo »

L1548 supports two channel selection.

The L1548 TRA is an IAI product [the MRTI people]. Here is the pin out of the P2 connector on the L1548:

PIN - FUNCTION
1 - Rx audio - (7)
2 - F1
3 - Rx audio + (11)
4 - F2
5 key pin
6 - PTT (3)
7 - mic hi (2)
8 - monitor (14)
9 - mic lo (7)
10 - osc ground
11 - duplex control
12,14,16 - ground (7)
13,15 - DC+ (13)

The numbers in paranthesis are the corresponding pin numbers to connect to on the 16 pin Maxtrac type radio [which can be easily translated to the correct corresponding pins for the CDM]
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

Ok I must be thinking of a newer one that I've worked with recently. The one I was using supports 16.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
jayres

Post by jayres »

Ok, time for another question... what control tone value should the console send for the remote to "see" that it needs to change to F1 or F2?
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

Do I need to change the command tone frequencies, as sent by the console (a Moto CommandPlus) to ensure that this will work correctly?
xmo

Post by xmo »

The L1548 uses the standard 1950 F1 & 1850 F2 function tones so you should be good to go.

The GAI-Tronics ITA2000 tone remote adapter supports 15/16 frequencies.
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

xmo wrote:The L1548 uses the standard 1950 F1 & 1850 F2 function tones so you should be good to go.

The GAI-Tronics ITA2000 tone remote adapter supports 15/16 frequencies.
Yup, know about that one.. /\/\ has another one out there that replaced the GAI-Tronics that does the full 15/16 as well.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

I think that takes care of the questions that I have.

Yall are great, thanks for the information.

Perhaps we should petition those who oversee the board to include some of this information in the miscellaneous section on Batlabs.

Thanks, again.
xmo

Post by xmo »

".../\/\ has another one out there that replaced the GAI-Tronics that does the full 15/16..."

The current product is the L3276, Tone Remote Adapter, 16 frequency operation with 4-wire audio, $655.00 list.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”