MIP 5000 GATEWAYS.

Discussion about Centracom (Button & LED / CRT / Gold / Elite), MC Series (MC5500/7100/7500), and legacy console equipment.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

efc
What radios do you own?: cdm 1250

MIP 5000 GATEWAYS.

Post by efc »

Hello,

This is background info:

1.4 channel MIP 5000 CONSOLE,operating in windows 7 ,32 bit I believe.

2. 3 local gateways,one new one which is for trbo interface.

3.Distance between the console position,which is only 1 which also acts as the Server with CSDM,AND DCPM installed on it,is about 60 feet.

4.Ether net port off of console,to a 4 port swith,then to the Gateways.

PROBLEM:

Cannot seem to get the Gateways to stay green for link status,and only 2 seem to turn green after quite awhile of waiting. The console was good when I started work,had to replace PC with another so that I could upgrade software for trbo radio.

I set up network for static,checked MAC addresses,even changed switches,used PUTTY to open a serial connection,but GATEWAYS ARE REAL SCREWY as far as linking to server.I am beginning to think it has to do with power cycling the Gateways to establish a new data base from server.Why? Because after I power cycle,attach null modem cable to gateway,PUTTY session shows a bunch of dots.Which on a couple gateways have cleared up,but then fail.

According to Motorola,you either pull power,pull RJ45 connector off of GATEWAY,or reset with PUTTY.It is real screwy and annoying.

Any input?

THANKS.
John
Dorf411

Re: MIP 5000 GATEWAYS.

Post by Dorf411 »

I think the key problem here is the computer and software upgrade, what was the old version of MIP software and what is the new version? What was the process to do the software upgrade, did you follow the upgrade procedure to the letter?

I have had issues upgrading from ver 3 up to ver 4 and have learned the best easiest most reliable way to do it is on the new pc build a whole new csdm database with the existing MIP gateways and when that is configured reboot the gateways and be very patient. I looks like they take at least 2 full reboot cycles to dump the old code and reload the new code. During that process you will see running dots going backwards and forwards have patience and let it do its thing.

I know my way isn't the way Motorola recommends doing a upgrade but it actually translates to building a new system and that shouldn't be that difficult if you only had three gateways to start with. You can still drag in your paglist file from your old config and save some time there if you are doing paging.

On some of the systems that I tried to do an actual upgrade from ver 3 to current ver 4 I got it going but I was also having problems with getting a good solid system. After wasting time trying to beat it into submission I decided to do total rebuild and it went very smoothly from there.
efc
What radios do you own?: cdm 1250

Re: MIP 5000 GATEWAYS.

Post by efc »

Great reply,thanks,I work with a guy who did the upgrading,I did not this time,and I think he copied old,and did not start from scratch.

Thanks!
John

Return to “Consoles”