APX 7000 FOR HAM RADIO USE

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
ED4102
New User

APX 7000 FOR HAM RADIO USE

Post by ED4102 »

Hello all,
I'm new here so please forgive me if this isn't the correct location to post this.

I'm curious if I could program my APX 7000 as a portable Ham Radio; I want to be able to enter RX/TX frequencies with the keypad.
tuckerm

Re: APX 7000 FOR HAM RADIO USE

Post by tuckerm »

You could.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

While it's nice to enter frequencies via the front panel keyboard it's better to use a computer. Front panel programming is tricky when you have to set tx, rx, CTCSS, NAC, talkgroup, etc. Only my HF allows direct frequency entry, all my other 'ham' gear is pre-programmed. I carry a $75 HP Windows 8 tablet with me in case I need to add a frequency when out of the office.
KF5LSC
What radios do you own?: APX7000 / small fleet of XTS5K

Post by KF5LSC »

Astro Spectra wrote:While it's nice to enter frequencies via the front panel keyboard it's better to use a computer. Front panel programming is tricky when you have to set tx, rx, CTCSS, NAC, talkgroup, etc. Only my HF allows direct frequency entry, all my other 'ham' gear is pre-programmed. I carry a $75 HP Windows 8 tablet with me in case I need to add a frequency when out of the office.
This, and programming via bluetooth if radio and your PC support it. I thought this was just a gimmick until I started using it and now for routine codeplug updating / changing I'll never use a cable again if I don't have to.
ED4102
New User

Post by ED4102 »

I thought I could. Now, is this something I can program from the CPS or does the radio need to be Flashed to have this feature? I just want to be able to use the key pad to program the RX/FX.
35-K9-1
What radios do you own?: XG-100F, VP900, VP600, APX7K

Post by 35-K9-1 »

The radio will need to be flashed with 1 of two options to enable Front Panel Programming. Either Q52 which is Federal Government FPP or Q53 which requires a dongle. Most hacked APXs out there already have Q52 in it. If you happen to get a legit radio, you will most likely have to add it.
k5hdm
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Lots

Post by k5hdm »

I have my apx7000 handheld vhf/uhf fpp for ham on the go, and an apx7500 vhf/uhf for mobile use.. But I still keep a vhf and uhf 100w W3 Astro spectras and a 900 spectra.. And a ft-857 with atas120 antenna.. So I'm setup for just about everything anyone uses anymore.. No to mention I run aprs and Panasonic tough book with Internet card packet.. I'm leaving a lot out, I should make a video showing where everything goes, etc.. Needless to say, I LOVE MY CAR!!!

Return to “Experimental - Mods, and how to do things a little out of the box”