Two XTLs with a SVR-200

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Forum rules
Share your enhancements here! What is not permitted is the discussion regarding adding features (aka flash options) which you can still purchase from Motorola for current subscriber products including discussion regarding Depot on current products.
tuckerm

Two XTLs with a SVR-200

Post by tuckerm »

I'm looking at combining audio from two XTLs into a Pyramid SVR-200. I only need to transmit on Radio 1, but want audio from both XTLs coming across the VRS. I have the Pyramid Smart Cables and I want to adapt it at the 9 pin Serial end. I'm thinking of making some sort of a junction box and from there that would feed into the single SVR-200 installed.

This is what I'm thinking:

Code: Select all

Pin 1 Ground. Only one needed, disable pin from radio 2 cable. 
Pin 2 Mobile transmit audio. Radio 1 only, disable pin from radio 2 cable. 
Pin 3 Enable / disable VRS -- disable both; using switch
Pin 4 Mobile PTT output. To Radio 1 only, disable pin from radio 2 cable. 
Pin 5 12v input. Only one needed, disable pin from radio 2 cable. 
Pin 6 Mobile receive audio. Combine both pins from radios 1 & 2.
Pin 7 Mobile COR Detect. Combine both pins from radios 1 & 2.
Pin 8 Local mic audio. Not needed, disable both pins from radios 1 & 2.
Pin 9 On Air Detect. Not needed, disable both pins from radios 1 & 2.
I believe this should all work but I need to keep the lines on Pins 6&7 isolated, yes? How would I achieve that??
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Two XTLs with a SVR-200

Post by wavetar »

Use a 1uF capacitor on the audio lines, and a diode on the COR lines. Gallenium & Selenium diodes only drop about .3-.4 volts, so the SVR should still see it as a valid COR.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Thank you for your response. I have two follow up questions:
Any 1uF capacitor work or does it need to be within a certain voltage?
I understand the diode concept but am still unsure which one to pick up. Do you have a link to the proper one I could purchase one online from? Amazon or something? I'd really appreciate it.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

A standard electrolytic rated for 25 volts is fine. You could go with a mylar type & not worry about polarity, as well. For the diode, try any standard silicon diode first, they are cheap & plentiful and drop about .7 volts.

I had said gallium above, I meant germanium diode, if you need to try a .3v drop. Just google them, plenty of options.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Experimental - Mods, and how to do things a little out of the box”