XTL5000 Wiring

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lyndonrescue13
New User

XTL5000 Wiring

Post by lyndonrescue13 »

Does anyone have an XTL5000 Wiring diagram for a remote head 110W high power vhf. I bought it used and specifically am looking for diagrams for the head unit (I believe one one plug is ignition sense/speaker.) Also, what size fuses and where they are on what gauge wire. The power cables I were given with the used unit are cut short, and no fuses. Thanks.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: XTL5000 Wiring

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Fastest and easiest way to get the radio working is to go on eBay and buy the cables you need. In your case the big multi-pin plug
will carry the ignition sense and speaker wires, usually with the ig. sense jumpered to the hot (red) power lead unless you're going to actually use the ignition sense function. The 110W radios use a somewhat heavier gauge power cable than the mid-power radios. The factory power cables have an inline fuse. Last thing you need is the multi-conductor cable from the remote head to the radio itself, and these are available in several lengths. You'll eventually also probably need a programming cable which is USB on one end and same as the mic connector on the other end. The radio can also be programmed via the mult-pin connector on the back, and these cables often have a serial connector rather than a USB. Hope this helps and gets you off on the right foot.

Regards,
Last edited by Tom in D.C. on Sat May 26, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

lyndonrescue13 wrote:Does anyone have an XTL5000 Wiring diagram for a remote head 110W high power vhf. I bought it used and specifically am looking for diagrams for the head unit (I believe one one plug is ignition sense/speaker.) Also, what size fuses and where they are on what gauge wire. The power cables I were given with the used unit are cut short, and no fuses. Thanks.

To add just one important comment to what Tom commented on, it is very important that the small red wire coming from the control head connector be tied to a +12 volt constant sourced voltage. if you run the red wire through the ignition switch, you will cause the radio to draw about 700 ma with the ignition shut off. By tying the red wire to a +12 hot all the time source, this 700 ma drain will not occur.

I can tell you from first hand experience that you will end up with a dead battery if you don't head this advice. Motorola has been real slow with supplying this information for some reason.

Jim
RMGoIWT
New User

Post by RMGoIWT »

Two grey leads are speaker
Red is constant 5 amp fuse
Yellow is ignition 3 amp fuse

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”