Astro Spectra Install Questions

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BWilliams
New User

Astro Spectra Install Questions

Post by BWilliams »

Hey all,

I have a VHF 110w W3 Astro Spectra that I'm going to be installing in my 2012 F150. I have experience with mobile installs of ham equipment, but I had a few concerns specific to the install of this radio.

First off, I'm looking for the hang-up box for the W3 head. I can't post this in the FSWT forum since I am still a restricted new user, so I figured I'd at least ask here to see if I can get my hands on one.

Secondly, the mini-UHF connector is throwing me for a bit of a loop. I was originally going to just use a PL259-to-miniUHF adapter since I have a number of the former laying around, but that seems a little half-assed ... I imagine there would be a small amount of insertion loss. However, I can't seem to find any solder-on mini-UHF connectors for RG58 ... only crimp-on, and I personally prefer a soldered connector. If anyone has a source for a soldered connector (if such a thing even exists), please point me in that direction. Alternatively, if using a short jumper won't pose any major problem, I can go that route.

Thanks!
Bradley Williams, KC2ZLX
Buffalo, NY
tvsjr

Re: Astro Spectra Install Questions

Post by tvsjr »

There's no special HUB for the W3 head. Just a standard mic clip.

Don't use an adapter. I've never seen a solder mini-UHF connector, but I can assure you that a properly installed and crimped connector will work just fine. Use a good quality connector (I use RF Industries typically, and prefer the 3-piece over 2-piece design) and either learn how to install them correctly, or have someone with experience install it for you.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

There is that HKN sumthinerother mini-UHF-M to PL259-F six inch pigtail adapter cable meant for installs with existing PL259 connectors. The short length of coax takes pressure off the connector at the radio.

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Crap Shack use to sell a crimp tool that works well on the mini UHF connectors for a little over $20.

I always solder the center pin on the cable and crimp the braid as normal. Has worked well over the years on all the connectors I have made up.

One little mud pie on the table here is the center female pin on the radio RF connector can get spread with use over time. If when you try to mate the center pin into the radio and it just sort of flops around, you might end up with a poor RF connection. If so, I have found that if your careful with a small flat blade screwdriver and place it against the small lip on the center insulator, then tap it with a small tool, you can force the center female contact down. This will improve the connection. However, you might have to take a sharp scribe or other pointed tool to just slightly open up the outer end of the connector after you form it. This way the center pin will slide into the female socket and you won't destroy the connection trying to force it in.

Jim
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Bill_G wrote:There is that HKN sumthinerother mini-UHF-M to PL259-F six inch pigtail adapter cable meant for installs with existing PL259 connectors. The short length of coax takes pressure off the connector at the radio.
That cable is a HKN9557A. It's a great option. We use them often for customer self-insatlls, or if we have an existing RG213/RG8 cable that has a PL259 on it (VHF/UHF).

Just don't use one of these. Just too much mass for a MPL jack
BWilliams
New User

Post by BWilliams »

Thanks for all the various opinions, guys. I'll probably just do a crimp mini-UHF then and use Jim's trick to solder the center pin.

However, the HKN9557 cable looks handy for testing / temporary setups. I was very wary of the ones linked by RFguy. I was just picturing that thing acting like a lever to snap the jack off the radio or something.

I think I'm in good shape for the install, then... that'll be next weekend's project.
Bradley Williams, KC2ZLX
Buffalo, NY
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

In a proper install, there is no inter-series jumper or adapter that is a great option. Put the proper connector on the end of the coax using the correct installation technique for the connector in question. If you aren't able to do that, find someone who can.

Jumpers, adapters, etc. just introduces additional cost and additional points of failure.
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

So you are telling me I should not have used the radio shack 6 foot uhf male to female extension cable and the u to mini u adapter on the mini u 90 degree adapter on my 110 w Astro Spectra then?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

...i can guarentee you won't see one on any of Terry's work!
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Friday evening of Memorial Day weekend after all the radio shops had closed take what you can get emergency repair which has since been corrected. The polar shift has been averted.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”