Newbie Spectra help

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

djpaulino
New User

Newbie Spectra help

Post by djpaulino »

Hello Everyone, I'm new to Motorola so please bear with me as I try to explain.. I recently aquired 2 Astro Spectra W9 and I am told I am missing a cable or something to power these up something to do with the VIP slot on the control head?..what do I need to power these up?..I have the following:

Control Head & cable with the green and orange thin wires. connected to radio slot..

Speaker and Mic

Power cable red/black that plugs into control unit.

Do I need a connector or cable for the VIP slot?...any help thanks.

Dave
Bill_G

Re: Newbie Spectra help

Post by Bill_G »

As far as I can tell, you have everything you need. Connect the green, orange, and red to +12v, and the black to -, and it should be able to turn on.
djpaulino
New User

Post by djpaulino »

Ok..that's what I thought is there a 12v source out of the VIP?..
linkinpark9812
What radios do you own?: Spectra, HT1000, Icom F30

Post by linkinpark9812 »

djpaulino wrote:Ok..that's what I thought is there a 12v source out of the VIP?..
You mean to grab switch +12VDC output?

http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/spectra/c ... s9kvipoins

There are some switched B+. I used it for the relay for my horn ring switch. Probably can't connect a load much bigger.

What are you trying to do?

EDIT: I just saw you have an Astro. Not sure if the pinout is the same as the original Spectra.
Radios I own: Spectra VHF 110W with A7 head, HT1000 VHF, ICOM IC-F30 VHF, and a Puxing PX-888 VHF.
Scanner I own: Radioshack Pro-164

If you want to get around the 16 mode scan limit on the Motorola Spectra, then read this guide and go to the original thread Here! 8)
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

djpaulino wrote:Hello Everyone, I'm new to Motorola so please bear with me as I try to explain.. I recently aquired 2 Astro Spectra W9 and I am told I am missing a cable or something to power these up something to do with the VIP slot on the control head?..what do I need to power these up?..I have the following:

Control Head & cable with the green and orange thin wires. connected to radio slot..

Speaker and Mic

Power cable red/black that plugs into control unit.

Do I need a connector or cable for the VIP slot?...any help thanks.

Dave

First, I would like to point out that there is a major difference between a Spectra radio that the title of your post gave and an Astro Spectra radio. They are some what the same, but you need to keep in the right family when looking for details.

My second comment is that many people don't know that the power switch for the W9 control head is on the bottom right side. This is a slide switch that needs to be moved towards the center of the control head for on and the right side for off. There is no power switch on the face of this control head.

The orange and green wires at the control head end of the cable can both go to a switched ignition source if you want the radio to go on and off with the ignition. The high current 2 pin connector on the rear of the radio needs to be connected to a high current +12 VOLTS. Make sure the black wire goes to ground and the red goes to the vehicle battery through the correct sized fuse. The fuse size is determined by the RF output power rating of the radio.

Jim

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”