xtl5000

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Metro12
New User

xtl5000

Post by Metro12 »

I have an XTL5000 radio as below-

And want to use this microphone-

Will the control style microphone plug into the microphone port? I own a valid CPS license, so can make changes if needed wihtin CPS. If it doesn't plug directly into the microphone port, what do I need to make it work? I have a new car, and want the radio mounted under the seat, and the microphone hanging from my center console to see and change channels. Thanks for any and all help!
Bigfella237

Re: xtl5000

Post by Bigfella237 »

No, an O3 HHCH will not "plug into the microphone port".

I assume the radio is currently a dashmount (CH attached directly to the brick), in which case you will need to remove the CH and headbridge and fit the correct Odyssey TIB (with the appropriate flex as they're different) to the brick instead? If you search this forum you will find all the information you need on part numbers / revisions etc.

If the radio is already a remote mount, just swap the heads and you're done, bear in mind that the new CH will almost certainly need to be synced with the brick?

Andrew
Metro12
New User

Post by Metro12 »

Ok, so I can't simply plug the mic into the current dashmount radio? I need to make it into a remote mount, and plug the mic into the new control head?
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

Don't think of the O3 (in your second photo) as a "mic", you will just confuse yourself and everyone you talk to, it's a HHCH (Hand Held Control Head) and as such cannot be plugged into another control head as a mic would be.

To recap, you remove the current O5 CH from the brick (/chassis/body/whatever you want to call it), fit the appropriate TIB in its place, and connect the O3 HHCH to the TIB.

You may also need to purchase an extension cable depending on where you mount the brick, but if its going under a front seat you may get away without one; if that is the case you will need to fit some type of strain relief to the cable or you will yank it out of the TIB on a regular basis?

Andrew

P.S. It should go without saying but, make sure you take precautions against static discharge when swapping out the O5 for the TIB, XTLs seem to be very susceptible to damage from ESD!

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”