2012 Dodge 1500 Hemi Coil Whine

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cms1126

2012 Dodge 1500 Hemi Coil Whine

Post by cms1126 »

Okay I am completely perplexed. We have two 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi's that have a horrible whine coming through both TK790's installed in it. Both radios are wired directly to the battery, have line filters installed, and all vehicle grounds have been checked and reinforced. Here is the kicker...if I unplug the passenger side coils, the noise goes away. Dodge claims there is nothing they will do about it. Anyone have any suggestions? its to the point where you cant understand anything on the radios. No Issues with the stock stereo.
cms1126

Re: 2012 Dodge 1500 Hemi Coil Whine

Post by cms1126 »

Upon further research, I found this thread http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ilit=whine sounds like the identical problem to me. however no one has a fix for it.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Welcome to the HEMI. From the description, sounds like one of the coils on that bank is bad... you'll have to go through them one by one to identify, then replace it.

Alternatively, unbolt those radios and drive a Ford product underneath them (or anything without a HEMI).
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

Alternatively, unbolt those radios and drive a Ford product underneath them (or anything without a HEMI).
:lol:

Priceless! Thanks for the laugh. Maybe being "Imported from Detroit" gets you cheese with that fine whine....

Dave
cms1126

Post by cms1126 »

The issue is pretty low on my to do list right now. But the laugh was appreciated! I did find the coil pack that was the culprit...just gotta see if they will order a replacement.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

This has also been known to happen on: Pontiacs, Impalas and other vehicles with high voltage coil packs as well. I once had to troubleshoot a fleet of Impalas that all had this problem, it took some convincing to the maintenance crew that this was not a radio problem. They had to see it for themselves. (Luckily, I drive a Pontiac that used the same coil packs and showed them myself.)

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”