2014 Ford Taurus Roof NMO install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

2014 Ford Taurus Roof NMO install

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone install an NMO mount in a 2014 or 13 Ford Taurus yet? I have a 2014 and
can not seem to get the Headliner rear half down like i did on the Chevy Impala's
I did. I can not even see above the Headliner and am praying the headliner is
not glued to the roof.
fineshot1
NJ USA
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: 2014 Ford Taurus Roof NMO install

Post by spectragod »

fineshot1 wrote:Anyone install an NMO mount in a 2014 or 13 Ford Taurus yet? I have a 2014 and
can not seem to get the Headliner rear half down like i did on the Chevy Impala's
not glued to the roof.
Done quite a few interceptors, the headliner is held up with magnets, remove the grab handle on the side you want to work on, pull down the head liner, it will come past the A,B,C pillar trim as it has to for the side curtain airbags...... magnets, cheap fu*%s..........
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by tvsjr »

spectragod wrote:Done quite a few interceptors, the headliner is held up with magnets, remove the grab handle on the side you want to work on, pull down the head liner, it will come past the A,B,C pillar trim as it has to for the side curtain airbags...... magnets, cheap fu*%s..........
Actually I like the magnets. At least they're reusable (unlike the push-in trim pins) and they aren't glue...
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

tvsjr wrote:
spectragod wrote:Done quite a few interceptors, the headliner is held up with magnets, remove the grab handle on the side you want to work on, pull down the head liner, it will come past the A,B,C pillar trim as it has to for the side curtain airbags...... magnets, cheap fu*%s..........
Actually I like the magnets. At least they're reusable (unlike the push-in trim pins) and they aren't glue...
Well....... there is that....
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by NickH »

tvsjr wrote:Actually I like the magnets. At least they're reusable (unlike the push-in trim pins) and they aren't glue...
+1 here. Pretty cleaver idea for a vehicle that the OEM knows is going to be essentially "gutted" before it ever hits the streets.
BigTex1136
What radios do you own?: XTS APX VIKING KENWOOD

Post by BigTex1136 »

I mounted my cdm1250 and a Ma/Com 700m in that same place on my truck. Was sweet place for it with easy service access later. I have not got around to posting the final pics but I did post pics of the console. I need to finish my install up. Still need to mount a cdm750 for tac radio and finish the lights. But great spot.
GOT MODAT?
BigTex1136
What radios do you own?: XTS APX VIKING KENWOOD

Post by BigTex1136 »

Not at all sure how that ended up here? I posted this in another post and its here. Please delete both admin.
GOT MODAT?
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

spectragod wrote:
fineshot1 wrote:Anyone install an NMO mount in a 2014 or 13 Ford Taurus yet? I have a 2014 and
not glued to the roof.
Done quite a few interceptors, the headliner is held up with magnets, remove the grab handle on the side you want to work on, pull down the head liner, it will come past the A,B,C pillar trim as it has to for the side curtain airbags...... magnets, cheap fu*%s..........
I could not find what you call a "grab handle" on either side just aft of the B pillars but found a way to cheat using someone elses
install. Saw another Taurus in the parking lot for another Dept and measured the NMO 3/4" hole center 8.5 inches forward of
what appears to be the OEM forward part of the onstar antenna so i just measured and drilled at that point without hitting
anything like double wall metal or even a wire glued to the roof so that spot was clear with about a 1/2 inch between the roof
and headliner so i was able to push the coax out to the drivers side C pillar and route it to the trunk as the transceiver chassis
is mounted in the trunk on that side. The control head is mounted on top the OEM console and am buttoning every thing up at this
time. I wound up mounting the speaker inside the OEM console as there was only flimsy soft plastic anywhere else not suitable
to mount and expect the plastic to remain intact with all the road pot holes in NJ after this winter. Making note of the fact that
the fuse block under the dash has the newest Mini ATM Low Profile fuses and i need to order fuse pigtails for future installs rather
than making my own pigtails which is do-able but not easy. These are needed for the control head. The trunk has a power center
point in the trunk for the transceiver. I will have pics after i clean up if anyone needs them but i can not host them.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”