wideband VHF antenna

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

wideband VHF antenna

Post by KitN1MCC »

are there any Wideband Vhf antenna with a long whip. i picked up a Laird one that's a base loaded 1/2 wave but i would like a longer whip any such beast
RFguy

Re: wideband VHF antenna

Post by RFguy »

Mobile or portable (but I assume mobile as this is the vehicle install section)?

How long of a whip are you looking for?

The ones we use (SVB1482's) are about 40" long. http://www.sinclairtechnologies.com/cat ... 482-DI.pdf
okto
New User
What radios do you own?: Jedis and Sabers, mostly.

Post by okto »

What do you want your antenna to do that it doesn't currently?

"Wideband" and "high gain" are opposing concepts. To get more of one, you have to sacrifice the other.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

that sinclair may work thanks
K5BBC
New User

Post by K5BBC »

Comtelco A1511A or A1511B are 24mhz wide at VHF, and built like a brick. A longer whip isn't going to get you anything here.
Will

Post by Will »

There is a little known option for the Comtelco A1511A series, a full .125 dia whip. Gives a little more B/W.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I have two favorites:

Maxrad MWV1365S this is a broad band 21 inch high 1/4 wave and needs a ground plane, it covers the whole 136 to 174 MHz range without tuning. Good where height is limited and very well made. I use these and I've swept them on a network analyser, they are as advertised. You can buy them through escomm or Tessco.

If you really want a long whip check out the Tram 1159-WB 6/8 wave broad band, no ground plane needed and 54 inches of goodness. Cheaper than the Maxrad but maybe not so well made. Again this one covers 38 MHz of VHF with tuning.
KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Post by KX5MOT »

+1 for the Maxtrad/PCTEL wideband antennas, I use them both for VHF and UHF, no complaints here.
"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”