Gain vs. Stubby Ants

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

L302

Gain vs. Stubby Ants

Post by L302 »

We're going to put a VHF (Astro Spectra) and UHF (CDM) in a new Ford Utility Police Interceptor. I lean towards gain whip ants with a spring base. But before I totally rule out stubby ants, I'm looking for your thoughts. Thanks.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: Gain vs. Stubby Ants

Post by SteveC0625 »

L302 wrote:We're going to put a VHF (Astro Spectra) and UHF (CDM) in a new Ford Utility Police Interceptor. I lean towards gain whip ants with a spring base. But before I totally rule out stubby ants, I'm looking for your thoughts. Thanks.
Most urban and suburban police, fire, and EMS agencies do just fine with standard quarter wave spikes on their units, each mounted in an appropriate location with adequate ground plane. Those who patrol large areas in very rural, mountainous, and other open spaces can benefit from gain antennas. Distance and terrain should be taken into consideration.

Larger antennas on police vehicles seem to be magnets for tree limbs, low ceilings in parking garages, and citizens bent on doing mischief. Quarter wave antennas do better against these conditions and are the least expensive to replace.

Unless there are compelling reasons, I'd start with standard quarter wave antennas on NMO mounts. If needed, gain antennas could be swapped in later.
Will

Post by Will »

Remember to provide a lot of separation between your VHF and UHF antennas.

20" to any edge for VHF and 8" for UHF.
LAX1
New User

Post by LAX1 »

I agree with Steve. Antenna selection depends on the environment it will be used in. Stubby Ants work well with local police environments. Gain Ants work better for County Units, and yes the kids to like to steal and break off these longer-gain ants. Use an NMO mount and experiment to find which ant works best for you.
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

I know some gutsy little Bastardos.. but to steal an antenna from a cop car?

will thanks for the ground plane information
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”