2015 Explorer VHF antenna

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

njemt7212

2015 Explorer VHF antenna

Post by njemt7212 »

Looking to install a Motorola VHF 136-174 mhz mobile radio except my vehicle is a lease vehicle which means no drilling the roof. Does any one recommend a hood mount antenna ? or should I just go with a glass mount style antenna ?
VE3HKB
New User

Re: 2015 Explorer VHF antenna

Post by VE3HKB »

Fender mount (L-bracket) will likely be your best option. You can use a 1/4 wave, or gain antenna if required.

Glass-mount will work, but there will be some loss in coupling, and you will have to deal with a 1/2 wavelength whip on the outside.
Not recommended for high power radios or where a wide bandwidth is required.
dvpman

Post by dvpman »

I just got the same vehicle and have the exact issue. Look forward to reading what others have done.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/
Glass mount antennas- never
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

If you want a decent on glass use a Sti-co Cell look alike. I have installed hundreds for the 3 letter agencies and had very few problems other than vandalism on the outside antenna. We had a department try the behind the bumper and license plate antenna with poor results. I have seen a few decent hatch mounts being used for dual band Ham antenna set ups. Remember you get what you pay for when it comes to antennas.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

njemt7212 wrote:Looking to install a Motorola VHF 136-174 mhz mobile radio except my vehicle is a lease vehicle which means no drilling the roof. Does any one recommend a hood mount antenna ? or should I just go with a glass mount style antenna ?
Lease companies do not care if there is a hole for an installed antenna.

When the lease is over and it is time for the vehicle to go back to them just
remove the antenna and leave the antenna mount on and or put on a cap.

That is why nmo mounts are ideal for this due to the cheap plastic nmo caps
available. I get the caps at hamfests for about a dollar or two each.
fineshot1
NJ USA
BigTex1136
What radios do you own?: XTS APX VIKING KENWOOD

Post by BigTex1136 »

I drill drill drill and then cap when I am done. No one ever knows and who looks at the roof of an SUV. I have never been dinged for having an antenna or a cap where an antenna was.
GOT MODAT?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

What did you ever end up doing?
canonninja
New User

Post by canonninja »

There is a company called Air-EL that makes light-up roof unit ID markings for fire/ems/police vehicles (think formation lighting on military aircraft). They also make a roof plate for mounting radio antennas and these lights, and IIRC for the tahoes and explorers they use the factory mounting bolts for the roof rails. You will still have to drill a hole for the cabling unless you can route it through the hatch grommet, but saves you from large holes for the antenna bases themselves. The roof plates run about $260 before shipping, vehicle-specific.

Richard Collier

Post by Richard Collier »

That looks cool!!!

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”