Low profile uhf Antennas

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

smills1
New User
What radios do you own?: M100, MTS2000, SM50

Low profile uhf Antennas

Post by smills1 »

I am looking to purchase a low profile Uhf mobile antenna. My first choice is the laird Phantom Elite but came across the Browning Tram BR2445 as a possible one also. Specs show the Laird at 3.0 dbi and the Browning at 2.4 dbi. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has used either of these antennas and am wondering how much of a difference in practical operation is 2.4dbi vs 3.0dbi.
Thanks
Steve
Will

Re: Low profile uhf Antennas

Post by Will »

First, 3dBi is no gain, as the isotropic reference is already 2.8 dB below dBd the dipole reference.

Just get a Motorola NMO mount and 1/4 wave whip. If you need a low profile cut the ball off the whip.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

A discussion on dbi vs dbd.

A plain old quarter wave exhibits 2.15dbi gain. So, both of the low profile antennas have very little additional gain compared to a quarter wave. The difference between the two antennas is also negligible. You should not notice a performance difference between any of them.
smills1
New User
What radios do you own?: M100, MTS2000, SM50

Post by smills1 »

Thanks for the information and explanation- I now have a simple quarterwave whip and am very pleased with the results.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

For 450-470 MHz, I have used the older Antennex UHF Phantom antenna, what is now badged as a Laird.
It has worked well for 5 years now on a trunk lip mounted NMO on the right edge of my trunk. This has given it a reasonable amount of metal for a ground plane.
The Laird VHF "whisker" antenna did not fair so well. It corroded over time, the Phantom one has barely even faded from the original black color. "Antennex" has faded off of the plastic though.
So for UHF the Phantom style antennas seem to work well. (The old VHF "soup can" looking ones did not, they only had 1MHz bandwidth.)
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

I've been using a 450-470 Phantom Elite "Sharkfin" for some time now, works great.
Jake
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

nukedude wrote:For 450-470 MHz, I have used the older Antennex UHF Phantom antenna, what is now badged as a Laird.
I use the same Antennex antenna. Works great, & is mounted in the center of my trunk lid. GARY

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”