Ease of setting up a MAXTRAC into a remote unit

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Varhammer
New User

Ease of setting up a MAXTRAC into a remote unit

Post by Varhammer »

It's been a long while I visited..

But, now I am hoping some of you more knowledgeable people can provide some guidance.

I would like to change my Maxtrac into a remote head unit and mount the body concealed and the head unit in the headliner of a Ford F-150 Raptor.
What materials do I need to assemble to provide to the shop to get this install done?

Any help is appreciated..

Larry
Bill_G

Re: Ease of setting up a MAXTRAC into a remote unit

Post by Bill_G »

First thing on your list will be a time machine so you can go back a few years to get a non-Motorola separation kit that used to be sold. (big grin)

A quick browse of fleabay came up empty for a used one. Not that they were super popular to begin with, but they got the job done. If you pop the front panel off, you'll see what the challenge is - those two connectors to the main board with 20 something wires, and then the two separate speaker wires. You have to put a cable stretcher on those to remote the head from the body. The kit had finished panels to enclose the back of the head, and the front of the radio, with a convenient db25 connector so you could use any standard fully populated db25 serial cable. Motorola didn't make this. It was purely after market.
Will

Post by Will »

Connectors to mate with the radio and control panel ARE available. You can make your own extension cable.
mike m

Post by mike m »

Or you could pick up a GE/MACOM ORION remote mount like I did for this exact reason.

Along with the Windows software which is available on Yahoos GE ORION group it is a much more capable radio.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”