remote mount 2cdm1550's 2011 cherokee

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

remote mount 2cdm1550's 2011 cherokee

Post by giguchan »

Hello all,
Just quick question...
Has anyone installed a one piece or remotely installed a CDM 1550 in a jeep Cherokee?... I'm guessing that it's going to be a semi straight forward install... I don't have any fancy vents or anything in the headliner to slow me down.
It will however be the first time I am going to use the ignition sense SW setting along with the ignition sense attachment.
Thanks.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: remote mount 2cdm1550's 2011 cherokee

Post by SteveC0625 »

giguchan wrote:Hello all,
Just quick question...
Has anyone installed a one piece or remotely installed a CDM 1550 in a jeep Cherokee?... I'm guessing that it's going to be a semi straight forward install... I don't have any fancy vents or anything in the headliner to slow me down.
It will however be the first time I am going to use the ignition sense SW setting along with the ignition sense attachment.
Thanks.
Since Jeep did not build a Cherokee in 2011, I am guessing you actually are working on a Grand Cherokee.

I have one sitting in my driveway so I've got a bit of knowledge about it. First, it's pretty much the same car as the Durango. The upfitter's guide for the Durango is easily found on the net. Much of the info in there will apply to the GC.

Second, the battery is under the front passenger seat and hard to get at. But there is a terminal specifically for jump starting under the hood back by the hinge on the passenger side. It should have a large red rubber cover on it.

Be careful where you snag your ignition sense. Much of the power is controlled by the computer. In some cases, it will sense the extra drain and go into some kind of warning or fail mode. If the power outlets are ignition control, they're your best bet. Should be one in the little glove box immediate forward of the shifter, and one in the lower compartment of the center arm rest.

There are little airbags in places you might not expect them. Be careful when routing wires near them. If you have to cross one, but sure the wire is between the airbag and the shell of the car so that it will not impede inflation.

There is also tons of info on the WK2 at http://www.wk2jeeps.com/ If you have to pull the center console, it's easier than you might think. Instructions in both the Durango upfitters guide and on wk2jeeps.com.

Also, there's lot's of vehicle specific upfitting info at elightbars.org.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Steve,

Thank you so much for the information.. I think that's a silly place for the Battery but I didn't design it... I just drive it. It's a company truck and been given permission to install a radio so I thought I'd give it a try.
I'll give that website a good look see and see what I can do! it's getting so that dropping the headliner and chassis punching the roof is the easy part.. I guess the Brick part of the radio can go under the rear seats and the heads up front somewhere.

Thanks again..
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
Will

Post by Will »

Anything on the 2012 Jeep Liberty ?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I ended up installing a remote XTL 2500 mid power in the second battery well under the drivers seat in the wife's 2013 GC.

Made a big U bracket that mounted just froward of the lift up storage in the center console to mount the head on. It wrapped over and down the sides of the center console. Put a couple of sheet metal screws through the bracket into the console plastic. Mounted a mic hangup clip on the passenger side of the control head bracket.

Just remember to put a ground wire on the bracket, so the scan function will work.

Jim
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

I would love to see that...
I have heard of some very creative installs- but I think that this will be the most creative. I'm going to be in the same boat...
When get the chance if even with a phone camera.. would you snap a few?
Thanks.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

So Steve,
After rummaging around for a while today... I think that stud under the hood with the red camp on it will be my source point- as long as it does not cause me any issues with the computer It's also right there and ripe for the connecting... I can also get a Nice solid CHASSIS ground out there too. To tell you the truth I have never messed with ignition sense or anything like that. I have always been good about shutting off the radio by the radio switch. I think this time I might utilize this feature. I could be wrong but I don't think the radio will Draw anything when turned off. One think I noticed today which bothered me... I like to run separate Antennas for each band UHF/VHF. This headliner(which I would drop) looks to be pretty tight with yes you guessed it... airbags at the Posts. I hope that I can get more than one hole in the roof.

Thanks again
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”