What antenna's are you having good luck with?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

What antenna's are you having good luck with?

Post by Pj »

I've been using Comtelco antenna's for quite awhile and have been pretty happy with them. Anyone have good luck with recent installs for lowband and VHF? I'm tempted to try something new (1/4 for everything from lowband to 800 due to clearance issues) but curious on whats working for you.

Also interested in luck for wifi/cell/gps soultions - combination units or portions there of.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: What antenna's are you having good luck with?

Post by FireCpt809 »

I use a sti-co Flexi whip for VHF because of clearance issues with my garage door. I have had good luck with it. I cut one down to UHF just so they match on the roof.
motorola_otaku

Re: What antenna's are you having good luck with?

Post by motorola_otaku »

Laird CW series for low band. CW27 covers 26-31 MHz >1.5 SWR with no tuning, the CW30 does the same for 29-34 MHz. Black/spring versions of both are available (CWB27S and CWB30S respectively.) For six meters I modified Laird's CHP special antenna (WPC39S0B-001) by bypassing the matching network and trimming the whip to a quarter-wave at 52 MHz. Work good last long time.

For multi-band cellular/GPS/wifi I'm trying to convince the powers that be at work to start using these on our Sierra Wireless modems: https://www.tessco.com/products/display ... ventPage=1

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”