Motorola Speaker For Scanner

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

henryg

Post by henryg »

Hello. Just throwing it out there. Cleaning up some installs not done by me and I want to hook up a Motorola speaker to a mobile scanner for better audio. Soldered a 1/8" mono plug onto the speaker wires and no audio or really low. Checked and it doesn't appear to be the speaker. Just wondering, could it be my bad soldering, bad plug, or maybe the speaker. In theory, will any Motorola external speaker work as an external speaker for a scanner or other radio or is there some Motorola magic involved. Thank you! Henry
Jim202

Re: Motorola Speaker For Scanner

Post by Jim202 »

Most of the Motorola speakers should work just fine on the scanner.

There is a possibility that your soldering is not up to par.

There is the possibility that the scanner is looking for a stereo plug and not a mono.

Have you checked the scanner manual and looked at what type of connection it's looking for?

You could try plugging in a stereo headset and see if you hear anything. I would turn down the volume before connecting it into the scanner just in case it works. If so, do you hear the same thing in both ear pieces or just in one?

Beyond these questions, can't help any more with out some feedback.
henryg

Post by henryg »

Thank you for the quick reply. I will keep at it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me and I was on the right track. I'm trying to get the project done and I am moving too quick! Thanks!
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

I was surprised a few years back when I bought a Uniden scanner and then found out that the output is stereo!
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

henryg wrote:In theory, will any Motorola external speaker work as an external speaker for a scanner or other radio or is there some Motorola magic involved. Thank you! Henry
Some of the Motorola speakers are 3.2 ohm and some are 8 ohm.
I would choose one that is 8 ohm since scanners normally use the
8 ohm impeadance speakers but either should work.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”