Computer ControlledLighting **APPLICATION IS FREE**

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

Computer ControlledLighting **APPLICATION IS FREE**

Post by jmr061 »

Hello All

A while back some of you may recall I was looking into controlling emergency lights via a laptop computer mounted in a vehicle.

**AS SOON AS SOMEONE CAN HOST A PIC FOR ME I WILL INSERT IT HERE, for now I can email pics of the screen shot of the application**

I have had an application made to do just this. It uses one serial port and a R810 relay board made by National Control Devices which is at http://www.controlanything.com The relay board cost $169 shipped. If I get alot of orders I will try to get a group discount on the controller boards.

The program controls up to 8 relays and buttons can be set to be on/off, momentary or timed momentary (great for shotgun releases, etc). Legends are all user programmable as are colors. You can control anything that can be controlled with a relay. You can use this as a standalone system or if your lights currently run off a relay via switch box you can keep the switch box as backup to the computer controlled lighting.

I am going to begin selling this program. I intend on getting a website up and selling the application for $50. I am going to offer it to batboard members at more than half off, $20.

The program will be completed within the next several weeks. Just working out a few minor bugs. If you are interested in this let me know via pm.

Thanks

Jason Rasmussen
Last edited by jmr061 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Send me the pic Jason. :wink:
afterimage84

curious

Post by afterimage84 »

this sounds like a neat idea...BUT...if u control your lights etc via the laptop...what happens when the laptop crashes? have u provisioned a backup override or would it work in conjunction with one's current switching? i set up a friends CDM1250 to activate his emergency warning but i also put in a manual override in case the radio craps out on him. i see u put as an example the shotgun lock, i would hate to have to wait for the computer to re-boot before it released the weapon...

just my .02
Code3Response

Post by Code3Response »

He mentions having a switchbox in for a backup. When he sends me the pic I will post it.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I will be using this in a professional police application. I had this created due to the limited space left in police cars today once you have all the wonderful equipment installed. The setup I currently have is a Gamber Johnson MCS console that has an arrowstick controller, motorola wildcard controller for lights, rifle and shotgun release and an astro spectra w9. I have installed computers in the cars using Gambre Johnson mounts as well and in order to comfortably use the computer one needs to swing it over the light and radio controls. I am putting this application along with Motorola's VRCH to control the basic functions (including siren) of the W9 Astro.

If the computer fails I can just swing it out of the way and go to the wildcard and normal W9 Control head.

This is more intended for the non-professional user but it can be used in professional applications. I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND it to only supplement your existing means of controlling your lights, etc. if used in professional applications.

It will run on 95/98/98se/ME/2000 and XP.

Jason

PS - Matt I sent your the screen snapshot.
Code3Response

Post by Code3Response »

afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

yes...my bad, i do see that now...i just read too quickly as it sounded like really neat idea!!
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Is the program configurable by the end user as far as labels and type of switch (momentary, latching, etc)? Also, can it do timed switches?

I think you sent me a copy of the program many months ago when you were still in developemnt. Very cool back then and it looks like you made a lot of progress on it. Very well done!

Especially in a small vehicle, the laptop mount tends to cover the switches anyway so this could be very useful. Hell, combine it with the Virtual Control Head spectra system and you are golden.

Another question.... If needed, can your program be easily expanded to control the 16 relay board?
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yes, labels and buttons are all end user programmable. Going to 16 relays would require a significant modification but might be do-able. That would be on a as needed basis though and cost more probably. I am attempting to add pics of the user modification screens. I hope it worked.

AND THIS IS WITH VRCH AND RCM RUNNING:

Thanks

Jason
Blazeorange

Post by Blazeorange »

That's an awesome set up idea. How soon before something like the size of a Palm computer can run everything in your car..........camera, radar, lights, siren, etc. WOW!!!!

That's neat.

Chris.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

If anyone has any questions or comments on this please email me at: JMRASMUSSEN@MSN.COM

Remember this can be used to control anything that can be switched with a relay, not just emergency lights.

If you would like the application for the price of $20 (fellow batlabbers special, $50 for everyone else) also send me an email and I will give you more details. Remeber a relay board from NCD (http://www.controlanything.com) will still need to be purchased for roughly $170 shipped.

Thanks

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Hello people and Happy Thanksgiving. I wanted to tell everyone that the developer of the relay control manager program has informed me he will freely distribute the program for free (shareware). There are a few minor items that are going to be added but if you want this let me know. Of course you still need to purchase the relay board as this is made by NCD (whom I have no personal/business interest in).

Jason
jim

Post by jim »

Windows...great! This means that you'll be driving down the road and it will:

A) lock up
B) lock up
C) turn the lightbar on for no reason (or off)
D) drop the shotgun out of the overhead rack onto your head
E) turn the siren on 10 minutes after you park the car and go into the station
F) lock up while in a 120 MPH interstate pursuit- like you can actually reach below the MDT and fumble for the 'ol reliable backup switches!

Linux would have been cool!

...I know....I'm thinking negative
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I've been using it for about 3 weeks now in the field in my patrol vehicle and it works great. No computer lock ups or anything.

Jason
jim

Post by jim »

I went to the website for the PBC. Which board # is it?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

The webstite is http://www.controlanything.com You can use either board R810 or R85. It may be possible to use other boards but I haven't tested any of them.

Jason
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

This program is really cool. Very versetile and the uses are endless. I thought I would do a litttle wishful thinking...

Anyone who has ever tried to piliot a large vehicle through rush hour traffic will appriciate this.

Last edited by nmfire10 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I agree with Matt. I have it all set up to run some radios in my office (turning on and off, etc) and it works quite nicely.

PS... Dude you forgot the Illudium Q 36 Explosive Space Modulator.....
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I ask that anyone who has received this application to please leave your comments on it here so the "public" can read what you think about it. Just so you know there are some upgrades in mind for the future incase anyone touches on things they would like to see added. If a suggestion isn't in the future plans I will certainly consider it.

Thanks

Jason
tom IL

Post by tom IL »

How about a master switch or pursuit slider type thing or is that already there and I’m just not seeing it?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

You can pretty much make any of the buttons do anything to any of the outputs if you manually edit the configuration file the right way. I don't have the knowlege to actually do what you describe right now but from messing with it a little, I'm sure it can be done.

Example. You can make say button 4 Labeled "Intersection". Program it to be a 10 second timed momentary. You can have button 4 turn on say relay 4 for intersection strobes, put relay 5 on to make the siren yelp, and relay 3 for say flashing takedowns. You can control yelp and the flashing takedowns by themselves with their buttons. But you can also make another button activate all of them.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jim

Post by jim »

After looking at the PBC, to me, it doesn't look like it's up to the task of running a complete cruiser package. 10 amp circuits? What lightbar can this actually run besides a strobe? You'll have to triple up on relays just to switch on 4 rotators in an MX7000 or use ANOTHER relay driven by the relay on the board. Even some spotlights are beyond 10 amps. An LED equipped car would be great with this system.

This system is really cool, but before anyone runs out and orders one, you better look at your current requirements for each individual circuit so you don't let the smoke out. Maybe piggyback the TST PDC-10 board, which has (10) 30 amp relays, but this adds $120.00 and more complexity to the system.

The manufacturer of this PCB needs to make a board with real relays on it and not the mini-relays so we (and other industry) can actually utilize it to the fullest extent.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I have discussed this with the manufacturer. Having a board with just trip ouputs to trip a user relay would be even better but this isn't in the plans. If you need to go bigger than 10 amps just use your own 30 amp relay. Use the mini relays as triggers for your larger relays. And the manufacturer claims to have thousands of these unit in use in manufacturing and the telephone industry.

Jason
jim

Post by jim »

Okay. Look into the TST PDC-10. It's a 10-relay board with +/- tripping, breaker or ACT fuse slots and diagnostic LEDs to let you know of on/off and output status. The unit is rated at 150 amps total. It can be had for about $120.00 and is well worth it. You only need to supply the breakers or fuses.

For a single powerfeed and 10 outputs, there is a slight power feed mod that needs to be done on the board to beef it up in one area. This unit works well and I use them for fire apparatus control.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Ok, so where do we find the software?
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Jim

That relay box looks nice. Are you talking about using it in conjuction with my setup so larger amperage devices can be used?

Here is a PDF link on the PDC-10 if anyone else wants to look at it.

http://www.tst-corp.com/pdfs/S290-2010%20(PDC-10).pdf

Jason
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

I just want that Lexus busting 6KW siren...
Motorsport Safety

Post by Motorsport Safety »

Hi guys I probably just missed the link but can someone repost the link to get this app from or let me know who to contact

I am in the process of striping an 81 series 3 land rover out and rebuilding for use at motorsports for fire / recovery and think this will blow some heads when they see the getup inside already going for some nice motorola kit and a full on gps and if poss will be having a basic pc setup running in there and think this will look trick

Anyone had any joy running on a touch screen

All the best for xmas and the new year people stay safe out there

Paul

the otherside of the big duck pond

ps sorry for my last post about uk installs am working on the pics and site will update asap
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Contact JMR964 via PM and he'll take care of getting the program to you. The setup for it is not too big... probably 2-3 MB at the absolute most.

Very nice program I've been running it since the first version and I love it.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
bendsley

Post by bendsley »

I am looking for a copy of this software for a project. Does any one know were I could get it. Please Message me.
Thanks

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”