Needing info on 2004 Chevy 2500HD for install...

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Needing info on 2004 Chevy 2500HD for install...

Post by nmfire10 »

I'm going to be doing an instal for someone on a 2004 Chevy 2500HD pickup. It will entail a Kenwood VHF mobile of some kind (haven't picked one yet) and most likely a 1/4 wave on the roof.

I've never worked on a Chevy truck and being this is brand new, I'd rather not F it up. Does the trim an headliner come down nice and easy to route the coax up to the roof? The dome light looks like a good place to mount the antenna over, am I correct? And finally, ignition sense... fuse panel ok for that?

The rest of the job looks like cake. Tons of room on the floor, under the dash, and under the hood. Whoever installed the plow controls and trailer brake left the wires a total mess so I'll be cleaning that up to.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

Matt

most of the plow installers around here are the biggest bunch of hacks in the world i know i am have cleaned up alot of there stuff

what brand plow

if you need help i will come down i have done a tons of chevys
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Yea, they put it all in wire loom, but left it dangling down under dash. Like, it would be hitting your legs as your drive it is so low. Idiots.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Matt if you need any specific help let me know. I just picked mine up Saturday and Ill be doing some stuff to it. Heres mine:

KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

ok pulling on the boots and hip waiders now and gettin out the shovels
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Code3Response wrote:Matt if you need any specific help let me know. I just picked mine up Saturday and Ill be doing some stuff to it. Heres mine:
I wouldn't ask YOU for help if we were the last two people on earth. Not that I beleive you anyway.

:roll: :roll:
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Heh, he'll at least tell you where your airconditioner compressor is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

alex wrote:Heh, he'll at least tell you where your airconditioner compressor is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AAHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

(sorry, I couldn't hold it any longer.)
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

how old is he and what does he do again
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

wa2zdy wrote:
alex wrote:Heh, he'll at least tell you where your airconditioner compressor is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AAHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

(sorry, I couldn't hold it any longer.)
Now...

10 points for whoever can find the thread again where Matt drilled through his.

Oh common... it's still funny.

-Alex

EDIT!

Found it: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ight=drill
Code3Response wrote:I have the Smart siren installed, UHF MCS2000 installed, speaker installed (despite drilling through and having to replace the A/C condenser, LOL). 4 rear hideaways, 2 linear microthin grill strobes in the bumper. Need to install LED microlites in the grill and 2 hideaways in the headlights. Console should be in in about 1.5 weeks. I did 2 of the 6 antennas this morning. Ill have to get some pictures for everyone when its comepleted. Thanks!
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

I'll see Alex's 10 points and raise him 100 points...

CHP's buddy is on a 4x4 forum out there on the left coast, where he is selling Nova strobe kits to everyone who throws money at him, along with the associated BS that he tosses about.

If someone finds the forum link, post it so we can have some more fun.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

-Robert F.
KG6EAQ

Post by 007 »

Mucho gracias, senor...

Let the party start.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

You guys should read some of his other posts... damn funny stuff. Look for one about gay cops.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ

Post by 007 »

I get worried when I see posts like:
i have 4 whelen ambers up front..2 clear (in red area of taillights) in rear....with a whelen 100 watt siren...3 tone siren box w/horn and amplified Mic for PA....people dont notice what color strobes are...if you turn them on...and especially if you give them a tap of the siren...they're gonna pull over...not that i would know by experience or anything....

they're cool to have...but be very careful how you use them
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Definatly.

In my car, guess what's getting installed other than radios?

Nothing. I might put in amber corner strobes, but that's it. No air horn, no red, no siren - nothing. Not because it isn't "cool", but because for the stuff I'd ever use it for, there's just no point.

I seriously don't see the need for people to make their vehicles look like a police car. It's asking for trouble - plain and simple.

-Mike
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
chuckhab

Post by chuckhab »

You don't even need to drop the headliner. Just pop out the dome light. You will have ample access to find the cross beams in the roof, the wiring for the dome light, and areas to mount the antenna. After drilling, I just used a fish tape to push the coax over to the passenger side B post, and then popped off the trim on the B post and the floor to expose a sufficient channel for running the coax up under the dash.

Chuck
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

and also while you are up there run a power lead. cause thats were the button on the dash runs too there should be a orange and brown number 12 gauge wires

splice on a another peice of number 12 and run it down u can hook up some light direct or use it to turn power supplies on it is rated for like 20 amps or just mount a light right to the roof
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

There is just a button on the dash with wire running up to the dome light?
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

there should be if the truck has the snow plow prep package Wich almost all HD in the north east come with

it just does nto run direst they use low current swichin with a relay

look in the glove compartment with the with the owner manual stuff it is on a little piece of paper
nick.dejohn
What radios do you own?: EX560-XLS CDM1550

Post by nick.dejohn »

I own that 2004 Chevy 2500 HD and I have my decked out with all of the goodies. I have a Motorola CDM1550 VHF Remote Mount installed and I just did a 1/4 wave on the left fender for the antenna. If you want to go into the roof, it shouldn't be that hard at all. I'm not a fan of installing over the dome light. I like to go oway from it just in case. Going right over the dome light may get you in a bind because of the cross members that run through the roof.

For strobe light issue, if you are doing any; I have 4 hideaway strobes in the bottom portion of my headlights. I beleive the daytime running light and turn signal are housed here. I also have a pair of Whelen 700 series Blue LED's behind the grill and a Whelen Slimlighter dual Blue above the rearview mirror. I will soon be adding a Whelen Talon to the front where the Slimlighter is and I will be adding Whelen LED Mirror Beams as well.

To the rear of the truck I currently have 2 Whelen LED Double Blue Talon Light heads, 2 Clear Hideaway strobe lights in the red portion of the taillight and I have a taillight flasher. The taillight flasher flashes the brake lights and the back up lights and the strobes are in the turn signal portion of the housing.

To control all of the lights I have a Whelen PCCS9NP control unit tucked inside the pocket in the lower dasj where the Cigarette Lighter is and the spare 12 volt outlet. I also have an Alpha Series Siren installed. I installed 3 mini toggle switches next to teh whelen light controller and I have a momentary button on the other side to control the air horn function.

I don't have pictures up on the net but if you want to see what I did, let me know and I will try and take some and get them on the net!
Nick
tom IL

Post by tom IL »

Nick, are you going to put the talon above the mirror or on the dash? I found that I could not get the talon to fit above the mirror in my ’03 Silverado because of the bracket setup so I put it low with suction cup mount and I’ve really impressed with the performance there. It seems to hit right about mirror lever in most cars.
nick.dejohn

Post by nick.dejohn »

I'm gonna try to put it above the rear view. Wheln has come out with a headliner bracket for that style light. It makes the mounting a little smaller to fit in tighter spaces. If not, I will probably put it where you did!
Nick
n1pj

Post by n1pj »

nick.dejohn wrote:I own that 2004 Chevy 2500 HD and I have my decked out with all of the goodies. I have a Motorola CDM1550 VHF Remote Mount installed and I just did a 1/4 wave on the left fender for the antenna. If you want to go into the roof, it shouldn't be that hard at all. I'm not a fan of installing over the dome light. I like to go oway from it just in case. Going right over the dome light may get you in a bind because of the cross members that run through the roof.

For strobe light issue, if you are doing any; I have 4 hideaway strobes in the bottom portion of my headlights. I beleive the daytime running light and turn signal are housed here. I also have a pair of Whelen 700 series Blue LED's behind the grill and a Whelen Slimlighter dual Blue above the rearview mirror. I will soon be adding a Whelen Talon to the front where the Slimlighter is and I will be adding Whelen LED Mirror Beams as well.

To the rear of the truck I currently have 2 Whelen LED Double Blue Talon Light heads, 2 Clear Hideaway strobe lights in the red portion of the taillight and I have a taillight flasher. The taillight flasher flashes the brake lights and the back up lights and the strobes are in the turn signal portion of the housing.

To control all of the lights I have a Whelen PCCS9NP control unit tucked inside the pocket in the lower dasj where the Cigarette Lighter is and the spare 12 volt outlet. I also have an Alpha Series Siren installed. I installed 3 mini toggle switches next to teh whelen light controller and I have a momentary button on the other side to control the air horn function.

I don't have pictures up on the net but if you want to see what I did, let me know and I will try and take some and get them on the net!

How did you remove the grill, and also is there a hole in the firewall to put the wires through. I just bought a brand new 2004 Chevy Silverado and I am doing the install on it this weekend.
nick.dejohn

Post by nick.dejohn »

If i rememeber correctly about the grill, there are just clips that hold the grill in. The grill does remove farely easy. I didn't find a hole in the firewall. I carried all my cables to under the backseat where I made my own hole.
Nick

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”