Small Motorola external speaker

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

K4RXR

Small Motorola external speaker

Post by K4RXR »

In another thread, we got to talking about small external speakers that still sound good. While sorting through a junk box yesterday, I found a new-in-the-box sample of one of the speakers I've been happy with. I bought it at a hamfest several years ago.

It appears to have been part of a Motorola cellphone car kit. The part number is SSN4005A. The housing measures about 4.25" W x 2.5" H x 2.25" D. The driver is apparently 4 ohms.

Anybody know of a source for these speakers or something similar? Is there an alternate Motorola part number? A non-Motorola part number?

Thanks!

Bob...
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Did a search in Motorola Online for that model number and nothing came back. Usually it will come up with the newest mofdel number. I also tried searching without the A on the end.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It is in fact a speaker from a cell-phone hands-free kit. Google the part number and you'll find several dozen websites that have them for sale. Typical price is around $20.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Or, order an HSN8145. Same case, I believe a slightly better speaker itself (rated at 7.5 watts... I think the cell phone speakers are rated at 4), with a GM300 connector attached.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I run one of those cell phone speakers for the W3 mounted in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, fit nicely in one fo the factory "storage" areas under the heater controls.

Jason
RadShop
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by RadShop »

ICom has the same exact speaker that is their "remote speaker" for their radios. They're outsourced like many other products....
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

tvsjr wrote:HSN8145. Same case, I believe a slightly better speaker itself (rated at 7.5 watts... I think the cell phone speakers are rated at 4)...
Thanks for the cross-reference.

What impedance is the HSN8145? 4 or 8 ohms?

Bob...
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

8 ohms
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

RadShop_Intern wrote:ICom has the same exact speaker that is their "remote speaker" for their radios. They're outsourced like many other products....
I think you are referring to the Icom SP-10 mobile speaker.
fineshot1
NJ USA
JeffFireRadio

Re: Small Motorola external speaker

Post by JeffFireRadio »

I was wanting to use the SSN4005A on my XTL5000 O-3 due to space issues in my Tahoe. Does anyone know what the ohm rating is on the factory speakers for the XTL5000 (HSN4031B and HSN4032B) off the top of their heads? I want to avoid any mismatch issues. I can always hook them up to the meter and check, but wondered if anyone already knew. Any other issues you've experienced running these smaller speakers? Thanks.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

JeffFireRadio wrote:I was wanting to use the SSN4005A on my XTL5000 O-3 due to space issues in my Tahoe. Does anyone know what the ohm rating is on the factory speakers for the XTL5000 (HSN4031B and HSN4032B) off the top of their heads? I want to avoid any mismatch issues. I can always hook them up to the meter and check, but wondered if anyone already knew. Any other issues you've experienced running these smaller speakers? Thanks.
The HSN4031 is 8 Ohms. Most XTL's that I have, or installed have a caution sticker on them to use an 8 Ohm or higher impedance speaker (most Moto external speakers are 3.2 to 4 Ohms).

Jim
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Jim,

Thanks for the words. Well, that makes the plan as follows...use an HSN8145B (7.5 watt, 8 ohm) Maxtrac/CDM speaker for each of the three XTL5000 radios. I've ordered SSN4005A speakers in order to rob the cable and plug assembly to match the XTL/Spectra setup. So, after a little quality solder work inside the speaker housing swapping cables, I'll have good Motorola 7.5 watt, 8 ohm speakers with XTL/Spectra factory cables and plugs. See anything I'm overlooking? BTW, got the new SSN4005A speakers for only $19.95 each...bargain! :)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

JeffFireRadio wrote:Jim,

Thanks for the words. Well, that makes the plan as follows...use an HSN8145B (7.5 watt, 8 ohm) Maxtrac/CDM speaker for each of the three XTL5000 radios. I've ordered SSN4005A speakers in order to rob the cable and plug assembly to match the XTL/Spectra setup. So, after a little quality solder work inside the speaker housing swapping cables, I'll have good Motorola 7.5 watt, 8 ohm speakers with XTL/Spectra factory cables and plugs. See anything I'm overlooking? BTW, got the new SSN4005A speakers for only $19.95 each...bargain! :)
I personally would've ordered the nylon connectors from Mouser for a little bit of nothing (a buck or two for a whole handful), whacked the GM300 connector off the HSN8145s, and crimped/soldered the nylon connector on, and not had to order the SSN4005 speakers at all.

At least, that's what I did for the 16 HSN8145s in my truck (no, I didn't pay retail or even NSO), and it worked out fine.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

If you shop around you can find them for next-to-nothing. We used to buy them from Workman Electronics (yeah, a speaker that surprisingly wasn't crap like the rest of theirs) for only a few bucks.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

JeffFireRadio wrote:Jim,

IIRC the connectors for the cell phone speakers are not the same anyway.

Jim
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Fair warning to anyone using the SSNxxxx speakers: I tried them, and blew them within a couple month's use on a Syntor X9000 and Astro Spectras. :lol: Also, their audio output was disappointingly low, even for speakers of their size.

The HSN8145s would probably be okay with their slightly-higher power rating, but at $30+ a pop I just opted to find room for the old-school HSN4032s.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”