Opticom 2008 Ford Superduty

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Gregg

Opticom 2008 Ford Superduty

Post by Gregg »

I have new 2008 Superduty Ambulance that I need to find the color code for the wiring to the door switch which will be connected to the Opticom to dis engage it when the unit arrives on scene and the door is opened. I just thought someone out there would have worked on one of these trucks, and save me some time in researching it myself. This Truck was supposed to be prewired by Desert Trucks but I am not real impressed. Really poor workmanship to say the least, and left a lot of loose ends. I might as well built the Truck myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gregg White N7SQJ
Tucson, Arizona
NickH

Re: Opticom 2008 Ford Superduty

Post by NickH »

Would it be better to wire it up to shut off when the truck is in park? That's how it normally goes, and most EV upfitters are including a lead for Park-Kill.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Thanks for your reply, Thats what I ended up wiring it to.
Gregg White N7SQJ
Tucson, Arizona
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

If you did it to the door open switch, you would essentially have to create a logic circut that would turn off the lights when the momentary signal was passed (ie; the door open circut would pass the signal only while the door is opened, thusly only stopping the opticom while the door was physically opened as the driver was getting out, it would go right back on with the closing of the door again). You would then have to create a logic circut that would latch it open when the momentary signal came thru, and then have some kind of manual reset to reclose it when you were moving again, be it a manual reset button or what. The park kill is a much easier method of doing that, as the vehicle cannot move when in park (YMMV), and then you can just wire the opticom up to the emergency lights switch so that when you turn on the lights, the opticom comes on also, it gets disabled when in park...and everyone is happy. (Now there's one less switch on the dash, which makes me happy!)
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”