2002 GMC Sierra Ext cab P/U Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cranbiz
Batboard $upporter

2002 GMC Sierra Ext cab P/U Install

Post by cranbiz »

I just bought a 2002 GMC Ext Cab with the full console. I have read with great interest the other postings and have a few comments and observations now. I will keep the board posted as I add my toys to the truck. ( I will post photos when done). The first thing to be added was the vehicle charger for my HT1000. This hav been mounted to the right of the console, just below the glove box. It fits well there and does not affect the passenger (my wife didn't complain after sitting there). I will be mounting the Spectra (45 Watt dashmount) in the center console. I ran a pair of 8GA wires from the remote battery terminals to the console. these wires are run inside the fender to the wire harness in the door and then into the truck thru this harness. I am cutting out the front half of the bottom of the console compartment and remote mounting the faceplate (A5) in the back of the cupholder . I have made a custom bracket that fits well there and a homebrew flat ribbon cable to remote mount the head. I converted the scanner (a Ratshack/ Bearcat 560) to remote mount and have room to place it in the front of the overhead console with the faceplate mounted in the plastic cover in the console front. What I do need is advise on placing the speakers. I would prefer not to destroy anything visable or that can't be hidden when selling the truck. The switches for the strobes and dashlights are going into the dash above the airbag disable switch.

Thanks to all the others for the ideas and advice.

Bob
cranbiz
Batboard $upporter

Update

Post by cranbiz »

Sorry it took so long to update the thread. :-?

I have finally got things mounted for show. Since the last thread, I have added a GPS unit :D . I mounted it with 2 L brackets using the ashtray faceplate screws (again, no drilling or destruction which has kept the wife happy) and a plate holding the GPS mount to the bracket. Antenna is mounted to the windshield.

Photos are here : http://groups.msn.com/thibodeauphotos

Antennas are a 1/4 wave NMO magnet mount (Motorola magnet) on the roof with the cable exiting the cab thur the 3rd brake light ( notched for the coax and sealed with Rat Shack connector sealant tape), Multiband scanner antenna on the hood.

The front lights are 2 hideaway strobes in the headlights with 2 red strobe in the grille and dual dashlaser. the rear lights are 4 hideaway strobes, one in the stop lens and one in the backup lens on either side.

The switches could not go into the dash where I wanted, so they are now next to the airbag disable switch, one for the front and one for the rear using Bosch relays to switch the loads. I mounted one power supply under the hood in a water resistant box and mounted one under the rear seat Another power supply is also mounted under the rear seat for future expansion.
YoChief

Post by YoChief »

Bad News: The mag mount will retain moisture underneath and will eventually discolor the paint. (Looks "chalky") Same thing happens when you leave one of the bras on the front end of a car too long.

Good News: There are glass mount multi-band antennas now (Tessco, etc.) or if you got some bucks, Sti-Co makes high quality stuff that replaces your factory antenna exactly and they make multi-band also. Get the optional splitter and you have AM-FM too.

More good news: Your install is high quality work. The scanner mounting is first rate all the way. 8)
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

I agree, that scanner install looooks goooooooooodddd....

NIce mount for the spectra too, just drill the hole down and your done, everything looks great

Dale
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

That does look very sweet. Full comm consoles are nice, but sometimes a nice flush-mount job like that is better.

P.S.- Dashmiser, not dashlaser. That is a cardinal sin. :)
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
cranbiz
Batboard $upporter

Post by cranbiz »

P.S.- Dashmiser, not dashlaser. That is a cardinal sin.
:oops: I know, sorry

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”