2008 Toyota Prius Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

grinthock

2008 Toyota Prius Install

Post by grinthock »

2008 Toyota Prius, it's a least so no holes allowed...

Here's the what we started with.

I custom fabbed this bracket, it's made with 1x1 .090 wall square tube and some 3/16 flat stock. it is held down with 2 #12 bolts that normally also hold the centre console in place -- very sturdy.

and here's where we ended up...

Drawers in the back under a cargo cover in hidden box.

Up front.... Still a LITTLE bit of clean up to do.. but it's pretty much there..

sledude
What radios do you own?: QuantarV&U,ASpec,XTL,XTS

Re: 2008 Toyota Prius Install

Post by sledude »

Looks like you've been busy.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Sano install! Nice job

Fowler
KC5AEE
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Nice. Where did you put the antennas? I saw a Prius taxi yesterday with two VHF spikes in the roof, wonder how they managed that.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

escomm wrote:Nice. Where did you put the antennas? I saw a Prius taxi yesterday with two VHF spikes in the roof, wonder how they managed that.
I've seen one Prius roof mount so far. They used thick NMO mounts, which came through the headliner. Coax was run along the roof using adhesive wiretie bases and wireties. It was well and truly hamsexy... no camera available, unfortunately.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

tvsjr wrote:They used thick NMO mounts, which came through the headliner.
This is a joke right :lol:
grinthock

Post by grinthock »

Again, it's a lease so no cutting. I wanted something discreet that wouldn't look too out of place.

There was another install I saw that had an NMO Mount connected to a bracket was re-used the rear lift gate gas strut mount -- very clean -- I may go to that in the future...

For now i'm using 2 glass mount antennas -- i've used this exact antenna before with very good results It's hard to see them in a picture (even up close if you don't know what you are looking at) people have suggested my vehicle looks like a pookemon character with them on. There's one on each side of the car on the rear quarter windows. Whatever I did it had to look se-metrical. Nothing worse than having one antenna on one side when you are trying to make things look even. These glass mounts are not too bad, they "CLAIM" 2.5db gain on 2M, I figure by the time it makes it through the glass and down the crappy coax -- it's probably unity gain. On UHF they don't work too well. But it's more discrete than an NMO with something mounted on it. I put my MFJ box on both and they are both 1.2-1.3:1 across the VHF/UHF hammy band.

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

escomm wrote:
Unfortunately, no, it is not. Definitely a "hold my beer and watch this!" sort of install.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

tvsjr wrote:
escomm wrote:
Unfortunately, no, it is not. Definitely a "hold my beer and watch this!" sort of install.
Blair, Bearcom, or Megahertz Technologies? 8)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Heh, Megahertz would never do such an install. Bearcom, on the other hand...

I believe this was truly a "custom" job, clearly done by someone with a hole saw fetish.
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

WOW... thats a pretty damn nice install. I like it when it all comes together...
Nice going.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

Post by kb9suy »

Did you know if you drive down the highway in a Prius and stick your arm out the window the car will turn!! hahaha
All jokes aside Sence this is a hybrid do you run into power problems especially running 100 watt radios. This is something that has been pondering in my brain for awhile. Do these new Hybrids have Alternators to supports the extra draw from accessories?
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

What did you do with the other one sell it or give it to the wife? I understand when you buy a Prius box set they give you Two - One for each foot!
No really folks... i'll be here all week be sure to tip your bartender and hostess you've been a great crowd!

The crack about turning.. the same thing will happen in a Cessna 152. I saw that in an instructional video a few years ago..

This is the first install of 100W radios in a Hybrid vehicle... I wonder how it will perform.. I had a buddy with a bimmer and when Ptt'd The care would do starange things... Bimmers are known to have electronics issues from the get go.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
ama201
New User

Post by ama201 »

I'm getting my Prius V tomorrow. So excited to get it finally since Thanksgiving. Gotta look into auto insurance quotes now.
Last edited by escomm on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam link removed.
mike m

Post by mike m »

If you mounted one of the big HF screwdriver antennas on a Prius would it tip over ?

But really isn't there some undocumented law about putting Motorola radios in a Prius, maybe a Yaesu or an Icom ham radio but not Motorola's.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

This will be my course of action should I ever come into possession of a hybrid vehicle: http://www.priups.com/ham-12v/

Now as far as spambots getting in goes, I highly recommend this mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1659315
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

That really is a nice install.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
N0YSN
New User
What radios do you own?: XPR6500, HT1250, CDM1550 etc..

Post by N0YSN »

Looks nice especially for a no hole install.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Wow... triple-necropost! Thread was started in September 2008... necroposts in February 09, November 11, now December 12.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”