Console recommendation for P71 CVPI

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Console recommendation for P71 CVPI

Post by k4wtf »

Well folks, I finally did it... The lease was up on the Tahoe and the bank was VERY fond of the truck. Instead of giving them > $14K to keep the truck, I went out and bought a used P71. It's a '99 but, it still has some life in it.

Now I need to solve a few problems.

(1) No armrest! This sux!
(2) I need to mount some radios.

I've got the tools/time to custom make a console but I'm sure there is no lack of commercial consoles available for the P71. I'm looking a horizontal console with room for 2-3 dashmount spectras that also has an armrest. I'd prefer something that mounts to the seat bolts so I don't wind up putting a screw through a wiring harness or something lagging the console to the transmission hump.

Speaking of wiring harnesses, can someone tell me where to find the P71 accessory power both in the passenger compartment (the red and blue plugs that are supposedly under glove compartment) and also the 100A power in the trunk?
Check out The New and Improved Bat Lounge

http://www.batlounge.us
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Console recommendation for P71 CVPI

Post by FireCpt809 »

the under dash harness should be under the glove box or in the passenger kick panel. Unless it was cut off.. 99's didnt have the 100a batt in the trunk..
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Havis-Shields, baby. 8)
http://www.havisshields.com

My personal recommendation is for a Consolidator console on a Trak-Mount base. You can use them with vehicle-specific mounting brackets without the base, but having the base there gives you greater flexibility with sliding the console forward and backward, and also gives you some different options for arm rests, cup holders, storage boxes, computer mounts, and L-brackets for radios or other devices that are too big or otherwise impractical to fit inside the console.. like 10-meter export radios and XTVAs.

My sole excursion to the Dark Side was with a '99 CVPI. The red and blue power plugs are indeed located on the passenger-side of the dash, but I don't remember exactly where. I just pulled out the trim panels on the bottom of that side of the dash and dug around until I found them. Underneath the kick panel on the passenger-side is also a bank of frame ground lugs you can tie into. And if you mount anything in the trunk, do not drill into the "high shelf" because the gas tank is underneath there. :o You can go with a commercially-made trunk equipment shelf like the ones Havis makes, or fabricate a wood shelf like the CHP setup.

Dan (ka8ypy) is a Havis dealer, too. :)

One last thing: mine came with a pair of baked fusible links that connected the + side of the battery to the alternator and auxiliary distribution block. You'll probably want to replace them with a 250A ANL fuse. I personally found the battery wiring as a whole pretty wimpy and upgraded the + side to 4 gauge and the battery-frame ground to 0 gauge.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

For CVPI consoles I have always used the Troy CC-06 or CC-08 models(built like tanks, and assuming you have bucket seats) depending on how much mounting space you need.

For the trunk power I beleive there was a small fuse box along the left side of the shelf adjacent to the spare tire storage. There was multi-colored wires
comming out on one side and three were for hot connection and three were for ignition. You would have to trace them back to each fuse.
fineshot1
NJ USA
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

PM Sent regarding wiring info and Havis info.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Do a google search for "CVPI modifiers guide". The Ford Fleet site only has 07-09 but if you dig deep enough there are a couple of places that have older models. The modifier's guides are practically indispensable when installing stuff in these cars. Gives you all the little places where they hide connections and fuse boxes.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

the 99's really didnt have much back the other than a few options the wiring harness bat and ign drop and a harness for speaker and grille lights was really it.. Next time im in my storage area i will see if I have a 99 book
W3MOT
Banned for the Greater Good
What radios do you own?: Just a console for nuke'n.

Post by W3MOT »

Console Issue:

I second the Havis console. Troy consoles are steel. They are extremely heavy and once you've owned your car for about 2-4 months and have had time to get use to it's configuration, you're going to get in the car like Batman one day and you will whack your kneecap on the corner of the console. Save yourself the heartache (or the knee-ache) and get aluminum (Havisshield consoles).

Armrest Issue:

I forget which model (maybe all of them) but the Havisshield consoles come with a track built into the side of the console for Microphone brackets and armrest brackets. When you call the Havisshield dealer just specify that you want an arm rest and they have a few different ones to choose from.

Radio Mounting Issue:

If you choose to go with Havis, changing radio mounts are pretty easy. The face plates pop right out (radio and all) after four screws on the front side of the bracket. If you choose to go with a vehicle specific console (Havis, Troy, Gamber, etc.) make sure you get some Security screws. Whether they're Torx, HEX, or something else, they're always good to use because you'll get some schmuck that will see 3 radios in your console, smash your window and do snatch everything. If that doesn't work, they might just take the entire console. Either way, be prepared for everything. Dont forget a nice Buss Fuses breaker under the hood. You wont regret it. :lol:
Intellegence/\/\Somewhere
"One radio at a time..."

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”