Making custom Pro-Fit-like brackets

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jacob

Making custom Pro-Fit-like brackets

Post by Jacob »

Does anyone have suggestions for types of metal and sources for making custom L or Z shaped brackets, along the lines of the Pro-Fit cell phone mounts?

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/mount.htm

Something along those lines, just for creating mounting points for radios without drilling when there are handy bolts just under the plastic trim pieces.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I don't have the term for it but there is a very simply to use press that you can make that kind of stuff with. Take a peice of aluminum sheeting(whatever thickness you desire to a point) drill the holes where you want them and the place the sheet in the press and make your angles where you need them. My father has access to one and I don't know the name of it or anything. All I know is that it's about 12 feet long 2 feet high and 2 feet deep....sits on a workbench in the corner of the plant in his building.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
CHEFA2001
Banned

press?

Post by CHEFA2001 »

I believe it's called a press or a lathe...maybe it was called a BREAK

I have used one with copper and aluminum for makign some flashings for a job I was doing.

The thing was about 50 years old, but it sure beat trying to use plywood to make those bends......
EDACS - Every Day Another Customer Screams...So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the
Kleenex...BOO, HOO, HOO.....AMERICA Should have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The name is something like that...but this is a billion dollar paper company that he works for so they have a lot of the latest and greatest. The press is about 3 years old....this one is mechanical with motors and such...no elbow grease. Takes the fun out of it really but it beats the old one that had a 40 lbs lift on it that got real heavy after the 5th bend or so.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
walt10

BRAKE

Post by walt10 »

HI It is called a BRAKE. I used one to make my console for my truck. We also have a shear To cut sheet metal.
Walt

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”