2005 Ford Explorer Limited Install with Pics

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

2005 Ford Explorer Limited Install with Pics

Post by NSPD »

This is my recent install on a 2005 Ford Explorer Limited. I was also assisted by Wes, fcfd988, with the first part of the install, and this would not have been possible without his expertise! The truck is my POV and I use it mostly to assist in my photography.

Equipment Installed:

Jotto Desk Contour Console
Motorola CDM1250 UHF (Console)
Motorola CDM1550LS+ 220mhz (Console)
Kenwood TK-7180 VHF (Console)
Pyramid SVR-200U UHF Repeater (Console)
Uniden BCD996T Scanner (Dash)
Motorola Maxtrac B7 800mhz (Rear ATCS MCP Radio)
Motorola Maxtrac B7 900mhz (Rear ATCS BCP Radio)
Motorola XTS Vehicle Charger
Motorola Astro Saber Vehicle Charger

The laptop is an Asus EeePC 900, which I am testing to see how well it does in a mobile environment before I decide if I want to mount a much larger Toughbook in the car. It is mounted to a custom mount that I built from a Panavise arm and Aluminum.

I apologize for the quality of the last two pictures, they were taken with a cell phone camera during the install process.

Jake
Andy Corbin

Re: 2005 Ford Explorer Limited Install with Pics

Post by Andy Corbin »

[quote="NSPD"]This is my recent install on a 2005 Ford Explorer Limited. I was also assisted by Wes, fcfd988, with the first part of the install, and this would not have been possible without his expertise! The truck is my POV and I use it mostly to assist in my photography.

Equipment Installed:

Jotto Desk Contour Console
Motorola CDM1250 UHF (Console)
Motorola CDM1550LS+ 220mhz (Console)
Kenwood TK-7180 VHF (Console)
Pyramid SVR-200U UHF Repeater (Console)
Uniden BCD996T Scanner (Dash)
Motorola Maxtrac B7 800mhz (Rear ATCS MCP Radio)
Motorola Maxtrac B7 900mhz (Rear ATCS BCP Radio)
Motorola XTS Vehicle Charger
Motorola Astro Saber Vehicle Charger

The laptop is an Asus EeePC 900, which I am testing to see how well it does in a mobile environment before I decide if I want to mount a much larger Toughbook in the car. It is mounted to a custom mount that I built from a Panavise arm and Aluminum.

Nice neat looking installation. I am guessing from the pictures that 2005 Explorer had the gear shift still on the column? I know at some point in time, they moved the gear shift to the floor which would have made your current configuration impossible. I know there are consoles that can accomodate the floor mount gear shift but it would have moved your radios more towards the driver.

Andy
ke7joi

Post by ke7joi »

Nice install where did you get the switches on the back space on your console I like them
Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

They are Carling SPST 20A switches... these came from ebay but they are available from many sources.
Jake
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

Nice Install! very clean too! wish MY phtography vehicle was as nice as this ! being a Nikon Guy i cannont afford much else!
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

The separation of your 800 and 900 antennas is a little close for my liking but nice install!
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Jake,

That's the first actual computer image I've seen of the new RR digital tracking system. I read up on it via the internet sites but it looked awfully complicated to get up and running. If I ever could get one running I'd be mostly tracking NS and Buckingham Branch in the Central VA areas.

Really, really nice and slick install, by the way.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
STEVE W

Post by STEVE W »

I like it very much, but I am partial to Ford Exploreres, I have an 04 with a Jotto console
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Steve...
much differance between the jotto and the havis? I know with my Frailblazer the Havis console sort of fitsover the OEM console(rather half of it after you cut it in half) I was looking for something that i did not have to do that.. but if i must i will.. some console i see you remove the OEM console ALLTOGETHER.. is that trues with the Jotto?
Thanks.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Thanks for the comments guys... I have changed a lot since I made the original post.

The Motorola mobiles up front are gone now, replaced by all Kenwood x180 series radios. The Netbook is also gone, replaced by a Toughbook on a Ram-Mount arm with a Panasonic CF-WEB273 dock.
Jake
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

all of the Motos? I can understand getting rid of the Maxtracs.. but the rest of the install was pretty good.. did you use a CF-29?
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Yeah, I got rid of the 220 and UHF CDM's and ended up putting in a second TK-7180 and a TK-8180. When I move to P25 mobiles, I can replace these with TK-5720/TK-5820 units and they will be drop-in replacements with no mods needed.

As for the laptop.. I have done some testing with a CF-30 (not mine) to ensure that the dock works, but I have decided to go with a CF-29. I have not yet received an answer as to which versions of the CF-29 will work with the CF-WEB273 dock, but as soon as I do I will be picking one up.
Jake
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Ok good deal.
I dont have much apco25 or anythat i know of.. here most of the stuff that i am aware of is conventional.. i got my cf-29 from a company in TX. they are pretty good if you want the details i'll send them over.. I have never hear dof anyone using a cdm on 220 before.. UHF yes but not 220.. like the TK'S better than Moto eh? some folks around here think the same way.
Good luck.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

giguchan wrote: like the TK'S better than Moto eh? some folks around here think the same way.
They do have the advantages of expanded channel capacity (1,000 when configured as conventional-only, iirc) and being able to scan more than 16 channels at a time. And the current models will do MDC1200.
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

If they will do 1,000 channels, please expand on that because it would be *very* useful as much as I travel. My radios only do 512ch.

I will post some more pictures of the install when I can, the car is sitting in the body shop with crash damage at the moment.
Jake
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

No, misunderstanding on my part.. they're only good for 512 channels in either trunked or conventional configuration. Still, that's twice the capacity of an Astro Spectra.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

thanks for the reply. I have been using Moto for a while and while i dont go with everything they stand for I still stick with them. It was a bit rocky with the whole RSS THING and being able to find a machine that will support it.. but with XP and some current equipment i think i'll stay where i am for a while. I dont think CPS will jive with Win 7 though.. I'll keep my CF-29 WITH XP i'll be good to go... One of these days i'll look into theDigital stuff
best of luck keep us posted
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:
giguchan wrote: like the TK'S better than Moto eh? some folks around here think the same way.
They do have the advantages of expanded channel capacity (1,000 when configured as conventional-only, iirc) and being able to scan more than 16 channels at a time. And the current models will do MDC1200.
They're also about as close as I've seen to firefighter-proof... I've got dozens all over the county and I don't think I've had a single radio failure yet (knock on wood - should have half the county without radios tomorrow after they all blow up!)

The P25 version is very slick... 512ch. of P25 with unlimited scan list for under $1K brand new in the box with a warranty is pretty sweet. Remote kit? $75-ish. Mucho audio (40 watts)? No problem, slap a $25 board in and plug a $30 speaker in. 16-key DTMF mic for controlling systems that require A/B/C/D? No problem, available from the factory.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

wow...
that Is something.. I have never really looked THAT much into them before. I know there is quite a following, but around here Moto is what the PD and the FD use.. it's the old"if it aint broke dont fix it".I hear some depts(fd) have made the jump because they have been upset with the distributer or something.

I dont think that Moto could ever come close to that price.. i could be wrong, but i think with all the trimmings thats a fine price.I wont mention the whole CPS and what you have to go through to get it, thought some of us are willing to go thru hoops.. but once again when it comes to a govt sadly it all come down to dollars..
Good luck man!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

giguchan wrote:wow...
that Is something.. I have never really looked THAT much into them before. I know there is quite a following, but around here Moto is what the PD and the FD use.. it's the old"if it aint broke dont fix it".I hear some depts(fd) have made the jump because they have been upset with the distributer or something.

I dont think that Moto could ever come close to that price.. i could be wrong, but i think with all the trimmings thats a fine price.I wont mention the whole CPS and what you have to go through to get it, thought some of us are willing to go thru hoops.. but once again when it comes to a govt sadly it all come down to dollars..
Good luck man!
KW software? No problem, it's just another part number. I love my Motos, but...
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

hahahah
sounds pretty simple.. good for you then. let us know and what it all looks like when your done!
Best of luck.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

I know these are long overdue, but I finally got around to taking more photos. I had given the truck a thorough bath the previous day, but after driving a couple hundred miles, it was filthy again. Not to mention that it's nearly impossible to keep a black car clean anyway.

Here it is.. everything in place, except the laptop wasn't in the car at the time..

Jake
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

Really looks good! Saw it through the window in the dark at the coffee gathering the other night, but daylight makes a difference. Now then, I guess I'm just going to have to do some photos of my Ranger and post 'em.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

That's some serious equipment right there.... nice and clean too!! damn you APCO GUYS..... I dont have a need for for it... but it looks like it some fun stuff to have... and here i just got used to the CPS for WARIS radios.. I understand the s/w for the fancy stuff is a bit dodgy to learn...My 4 runner is black... is a PITA to keep clean!
Looks a real fine install nice going..
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
ki6yop

Post by ki6yop »

Nice Install. Gives me some good ideas.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”