Jeep Wrangler NMO Fender Mount Application

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

Jeep Wrangler NMO Fender Mount Application

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I have a late model Jeep Wrangler for which I'd like to install an antenna for an XTL5000 mobile. I plan to use a standard Motorola NMO mount with their quarter wave VHF antenna. It looks to me like the best bet might be some sort of fender mount on the driver's side front fender/quarter panel, as the goodtime radio broadcast antenna is factory mounted on the right front fender.

Does anyone know if there is an appropriate mount made for an NMO to do the job for this application? The front quarter panels on the Jeep Wrangler are fairly unusual compared to most vehicles. The hood is especially unusual in that it curves straight down about 4 inches to meet the top of the fender, a lot more distance than most hoods, so standard fender antenna mounts just don't work. I'm thinking that the Jeep Trail badge on the left front fender could very easily be popped off, giving me a nice starting point for a hole to mount any such NMO holder. Thought I'd check and see if anyone else has already struggled with this dilemma so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks, in advance, for any help or advice on this!
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Re: Jeep Wrangler NMO Fender Mount Application

Post by mancow »

I have a 2010 JK and struggled with the same issue. I ended up installing my L bracket on the after market metal tail light guard. I used one of the existing screws that goes in the top left corner and then drilled a small hole in the bracket metal itself for the second screw. I used a stainless metal screw in that hole. It's nowhere near a great ground plane but works surprisingly well.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

That sounds like it may be a good way to go. With the design of the hood, maybe a fender mount just isn't in the cards. Makes it tough when the rough is fiberglass, too!
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

In our SAR group, our guys with the Jeep YJs put an NMO right on the metal fender and it works awesome.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

It doesn't look that pretty up close but it works just fine.

This is the SGC HF antenna mount. It is fed by a piece of coax with the braid split off to a ground point behind the turn signal and the hot to back side of one of the screws around the mount. It is connected to an LDG Z11Pro tuner and an FT857. It does a great job.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”