Best Quality NMO Mount Brand?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Best Quality NMO Mount Brand?

Post by N6LAU »

I'm considering getting one of the drill type 3/4 NMO mounts for my vehicle and was curious as to which brand of these is typically made the best and performs the best? Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
tvsjr

Re: Best Quality NMO Mount Brand?

Post by tvsjr »

I use RadiallLarsen NMOKDS mounts, which are well built and stainless, and use stranded-center dual-shield RG58. Standard RG58 connectors work fine on it, but the extra isolation is apparent, especially on multi-radio installs.
N6LAU

Post by N6LAU »

How about Antenex, do they use the same type of coax?
Joe - N6LAU
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Motorola has a NMO package available whose coax (RG58 type) is double shielded. Don't know the model number. Might well be the double shield RL unit mentioned above.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Only the Moto and the Radiall have dual-shield stranded-center RG-58, at least from my research. Maxrad and others sell mounts with LMR-195, which is dual-shield but solid center. While solid center shouldn't be a problem, you know what happens when installs occur... and solid is a bit too fragile for my tastes. Pain in the arse to work with, as well.
N6LAU

Post by N6LAU »

I appreciate all the input guys, thanks. A couple more questions...

Is all RG-58A/U and RG-58/U dual shielded or are only certain types dual shielded? I'm a bit confused... On the Tessco site I'm looking at different mounts and some say RG-58A/U or RG-58/U with dual shielded next to the cable description and some don't. Are these all the same or is there specially made RG-58A/U and RG-58/U that is dual shielded?

Also I've been considering whether to use a NMO drill bit or a Greenlee punch and it seems dropping the headliner may prove a bit difficult so the drill bit is probably the way to go. Which bit tends to provide better results, the Antenex version or the Ripley HSK19?

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Joe,

IF you can drop the headliner to get the bottom parts of the punch under the roof then the Greenlee will always give better
results, or at least safer outcomes of the operation, compared to the hole saw. Speaking as a non-professional antenna installer,
I always feel much safer using the punch than the saw for the big hole, although I do still have to drill the pilot hole.

As far as the RG58 goes, most of what you find in stores, or lying around, or whatever, is single shield stuff. You have to go out
of your way to find the double shield cable as it is NOT common. If the listing does not say double shield than I would assume that
it's not.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Durability-wise I have noticed virtually no difference among the various manufacturers over the years. If you're worried about tearing the mount out due to parking garage clearance or whatever I would recommend the "dual" 3/8-3/4'' mount used with a 3/8'' hole as it grips a much larger surface area than the 3/4'' mount. You will have to have access to the underside of the hole, however.

I don't personally use mounts pre-furnished with cable. I much prefer to buy cable in bulk and solder on my own mounts to avoid wasting cable. I have used 95% shield braid/stranded center RG58, solid-center RG58, Times LMR195 (solid center, braid-over-foil), LMR200 (same thing but with a slightly larger center conductor and supposedly more flexible), RG142 (mil-spec 200% shield solid-center Teflon-insulated) and RG400 (same thing but with a stranded center). Yes, anything with a solid center is a little more difficult to work with, but not so much that I would advise against it. For a trunk-lid mount where the cable will be constantly flexed you will probably want to use stranded-center cable, but for anything that will never move (i.e. the roof) you can use pretty much anything you want.

The big determining factor is your band of operation. For CB and VHF (low and hi) you can use regular RG58 and be fine. For UHF, 700, 800, and 900 you will want to use a dual-shield cable. For anything above 900 I would absolutely use mil-spec cable to minimize loss, especially for GPS or 802.11 wifi. Don't go cheap on your connectors for UHF and up either; use Teflon/silver whenever possible.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”