USB > Serial DB9 Adapter, any luck

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jjbond
Batboard $upporter

USB > Serial DB9 Adapter, any luck

Post by jjbond »

Hi all.. time to upgrade this laptop that I've held onto cus it still has a DB9 for my RIB.... has anyone had any success using a USB to DB9 adapter on the new laptops like the Dell 9300 etc....

Most of the newer laptops don't have DB9's any longer... :(

Jennifer
Jennifer Bond

"There is no greater, darker, deafening sound than, after the loss of a K-9 partner, climbing back into a patrol car and hearing only silence."
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

i have one i use on my laptop, sadly i cant remember who the hell makes it.. it works good on everything ive thrown at it... i got it off ebay awhile back, its clear blue with a silver cable and has red and green activity leds on it
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

Radio shack, works good for me except the minitor programmer but havn't really had the patients to experiment with that yet.
JMR
KC2QVO
ffighter_94
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: WAY too many!!!

db9 to USB adapter

Post by ffighter_94 »

Quatech makes several of them, I have the PCMCIA to Serial adapter and it works fine.

http://www.quatech.com/products/usb.php

or

http://www.quatech.com/products/pcmcia.php
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger fuse...
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

You can use a USB-to-Serial adaptor and haev something that might work sometimes. Or you can use a PCMCIA serial card and have a real serial port again that will always work.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Socket brand PCMCIA serial cards work well.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

mr.syntrx wrote:Socket brand PCMCIA serial cards work well.
Except for Toshiba laptops running Win2k and below.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

USB/serial adapters...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I need one of these myself, so I looked on eBay. Seems that everyone wants to sell you one for $4.00 then charge you $10 for shipping. I think I'll look in the computer store, get it for a fair price, pay the sales tax, and have a place to return it if I need to do that.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
jjbond
Batboard $upporter

Post by jjbond »

None of these work in true DOS correct? Only in Windows... so if I'm using RSS for DOS I need to use a computer with a true DB9?

Jennifer
Jennifer Bond

"There is no greater, darker, deafening sound than, after the loss of a K-9 partner, climbing back into a patrol car and hearing only silence."
Bob

Post by Bob »

That's correct. USB is not supported in DOS. You MAY be able to find an obscure PCMCIA controller that is supported in DOS, but I highly doubt it.

If you're shopping for a new laptop now, consider bypassing the consumer-grade models and look at the business-grade models. Many of those models still have serial ports. Many of the manufacturers recognize the need for serial ports on business-grade laptops for doing data transfer, PLC programming, and things of the like.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Bob wrote:That's correct. USB is not supported in DOS. You MAY be able to find an obscure PCMCIA controller that is supported in DOS, but I highly doubt it.
Quatech still produces a PCMCIA serial card that works in both Windows & DOS, the SSP-100. We installed 4 of them into some new Compaq laptops about 6 months ago & they work great! It takes a little DOS 'know how' to get them to 'auto-register' upon power up in DOS, but once that was done, never a problem since. Works great in Windows too.
Bob wrote: If you're shopping for a new laptop now, consider bypassing the consumer-grade models and look at the business-grade models. Many of those models still have serial ports. Many of the manufacturers recognize the need for serial ports on business-grade laptops for doing data transfer, PLC programming, and things of the like.
This is correct, but be prepared to pay quite a bit more just to get that DB9 port!

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”