Any Astro Spectras go 450-512MHz?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DACS_IV

Post by DACS_IV »

I've been told that there were some 450-512MHz Astro Spectras made, but are no longer in production. Anyone know something about this? Are there any other 450-512 Mot mobiles besides the CDM/Pro series?
Arnold Horshack

Post by Arnold Horshack »

I heard the same thing but was a 403- 482MHz split. Would be great if it turns out to be true!
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I believe that there are factory models defined in the new Windows CPS as 403-470 (or 477) and 433-512 (or 515) MHz. I've found no reference to these models 'in real life' but the evidence is in the CPS...

One thing for certain, the SP model designation is not for nothing and just because the RSS supports such an extended range doesn't need to imply that the radio tunes the whole range without gaps.

It isn't that hard to create custom workshop specials that span the usually defined band limits if you’ll accept slightly degraded receiver performance.
motsaber99

Post by motsaber99 »

I have seen current production models in the 403-477 spread. The are in some of the alphabet agency cars. I watched to being installed last month. There is also a SP01 production model in the 136-174 band for the Alphabet agencies. I watched one of them being installed a couple of months ago. There were tags in the box showing the band split and what was programmed in them. I have also talked to a gentleman in Chicago area who retired from Motorola who stated that most of these special production models did 512 modes. This was the government request. They used stacked logic chips and a button on the head that switched from 255 mode system to the next. He also stated that they are currently making the XTS3000 for the government that does the same 512 mode. He told me that some of the spectras are currently in the civilian market that were auctioned of last year. And the people have no idea what they have unless they try to program 512 modes. The current CPS software will supposedly let you program that many into them if they are designed for it. I recently purchased a Astro VHF Spectra and have currently set up 20 banks. But not all are full yet. I will continue to enter channels until it screams at me. And I have taken the VHF as low as 142 without any loss of power or sensitivey.
motsaber99

Post by motsaber99 »

I did by the way purchase my Astro Spectra from an auction and it has the SP01 on the end of the model number on the head and the radio. So I will keep you advised.
Nick

Post by Nick »

On 2001-10-30 10:43, motsaber99 wrote:
I did by the way purchase my Astro Spectra from an auction and it has the SP01 on the end of the model number on the head and the radio. So I will keep you advised.
Any update on these radio's??

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”