Complete idiot with stupid question - Help!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Unanon

Post by Unanon »

Hello there!

I work for a state agriculture research facility and we have Motorola Talkabout Distance DPS (Model # P24SRV03G2AA) two way handheld radios for communication in the field. Unfortunately, these tend to meet with accidents: run over by tractors, dropped in ponds, left outside in the rain, etc...

Our contact with state surplus has informed us that there are 2 types of 'hand held' radios available:

Motorola Hand held radio MX 350
Motorola Hand held radio MX 300-R

I've checked these sets on the batlabs site, but, being completely ignorant of anything pertaining to frequency, bandwidth and the like, I can't tell if either of these are compatible with our current models.

Anyone able to enlighten me?

Many thanks,
Unanon
perthcom

Post by perthcom »

Couple reasons why you likely won't be able to get them to talk to your FRS sets:
-If they are MX's i'm guessing they are likely from a police system and hence are VHF band. The FRS stuff you have are UHF.
-FRS channels are set aside for Family Radio Service only and I believe the limit is 500mw, if these MX's are UHF they are 4 watts, about 10x the power limit
-Lastly is cost: MX's are crystal units. To change to FRS channels will cost more than the FRS radios themselves.

Hope this helps
Bruce
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

They are good radios, and you should have no problem getting them programmed by one of the state radio shops, I am sure one of the state's shops still has the programmer for it, or else the radios are on frequencys licensed to the state and you should have no problem using them. That's how it usually goes here in N.C. Call around an make sure you can get them programmed, I would check with the last agency that had them, find out where they got them programmed, also check with the state police shop, I am sure their head radio shop guy could help you.

Bets of luck
10-95
Astrosaber

Post by Astrosaber »

...and if you're subjecting your gear to rough use (and it sounds as if you are!), go with the MX300-R! It's a weatherproof tank, and is usable as a jackstand for changing tires. (Well, almost...)
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

HI:

A alternate point of view !

I see this all to often where a person / business buy's cheap ( FRS ) radios in the
100.00-150.00 Class, and then finds out real
fast they do not hold up in a Consumer or
Commerical Class operation.

Also, a 100.00 radio can not hold up to the
performance of a radio that once was / or
is a 600.00 1200.00 radio. Not only the power
is limited ( FRS ) types, but the reciever is
limited as well...

Also MX radios are / and some still are
good radios, most have " Exceeded " their life expectancy. 20 years is a long time for
a radio, and with all the Expenses it would
costly to set up a MX, you really would be moving backwards in making a investment into MX's . Batteries, Antennas, Service , Acc'y are all too expensive for what you get.

( and Motorola no longer supports them )

There are radios made that will do the job, however, to properly advise you as to what
radio would be best suited to your needs, I would recommend speaking with a perosn in your area that is savy about Two-Way...If you
are not able to find one, feel free to email
me direct @ msisco9939@aol.com, and I can
offer you some sound advice as to what might
me best.

Also, not to many radios will survive being
ran over by a trackor ( or tank ) and even
though I have seen a few MX's ran over by a
vehical, ( and they still worked ) they did not stay working for long.

Monty
Unanon

Post by Unanon »

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. It's always a pleasure to find people online who are both knowledgable and nice!

I may be checking back with more questions as the surplus situation develops, but until then...

Thanks again!

Unanon
Nand

Post by Nand »

Last edited by Nand on Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bls106

Post by bls106 »

OK. Time for my two cents.

You've heard from both sides of the coin. Now its time for a reality check.

Yes the MX series are no longer supported by Big M. However... these radios ARE the workhorse of the Public Safety community. To this day, they are still the PRIMARY portable for the Prince Georges County Police, MD.

It's not too much of a strech to say that you can litterally drop them off a building, go pick it up and start transmitting. They are virtually indestructionable.

As for getting parts and service? As another had previously stated, at least one of your state radio shops 'should' be able to support them. Parts??? look how many are still running around. You may only find used parts. But for the most part, they are still just as good.

These radios were made when Big M still believed in Quality Control. Oh how I miss those days. You can't even get decent customer service for answering questions any more.

You will most likely STILL see MX's in regular use another ten years from now.
As for Batteries... Alexander, H&H, Interstate, and a bunch of other aftermarkets out there.

My suggestion: with the 'mis-use' that you have described, I would suggest the 300-R's. The batteries are more expensive, but they will take more abuse.

Like I said, my two cents. Good luck. PM me if I can be of further assistance.
Glen W Christen

Post by Glen W Christen »

"Run over by a tank." When I serviced a railroad they liked to use the Ht220 as a hammer to unlock couplers. One dummy even tried to use one as a chock under a locomotive. Had to replace the case on that one.
mackinac

Post by mackinac »

On 2002-01-30 00:34, bls106 wrote:
[...]
Yes the MX series are no longer supported by Big M. However... these radios ARE the workhorse of the Public Safety community. To this day, they are still the PRIMARY portable for the Prince Georges County Police, MD.
I don't recall ever seeing a PG County police officer carrying an MX. For about the past 15 years PG county police and fire has used GE hand helds. Don't recall the model number, but it does look quite similar to the Motorola MX.
bls106

Post by bls106 »

Better look again They ARE out there in use. Yes they are using the GE's. But there are a few MX's in service.

And if you want to play like that... loook at NYC EMS and NYPD. Yes the Saber is the primary, but the MX's are still being used there. We can play this game forever. Face it. The MX is a workhorse. They don't want to die. Maybe I've seen radios issued to someone who is being 'punished'. Don't know, Don't care. They're still in use.

Nice talking to ya. Have a happy day.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”