900 MHZ for Ham Use Couple questions.

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KC8UWK

900 MHZ for Ham Use Couple questions.

Post by KC8UWK »

How well does this work? What the averag cost of a repeater? What is the average cost of a radio? Can a pager set up be used on the repeater? Whats the max out put power on a repeater? Please help.... :lol:
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Re: 900 MHZ for Ham Use Couple questions.

Post by KG6EAQ »

KC8UWK wrote: How well does this work?
Depends on where you put it, what radios you use, your antenna... etc.
It can work great or it can horribly fail, don't expect the same range as VHF though.
KC8UWK wrote: What the averag cost of a repeater?
What radios are you going to use? Where will it be housed, you may have to lease space on a mountain top which will be additional.
KC8UWK wrote: What is the average cost of a radio?
Figure about $50-150 for the units depending on where you pick them up and what you choose to use.
KC8UWK wrote: Can a pager set up be used on the repeater?
Sure, just find some pagers that will go to your frequency and an encoder.
KC8UWK wrote: Whats the max out put power on a repeater?
Really depends on what your want to do and your budget. I've seen a few people using ex-PURC transmitters which IIRC do between 150-250 watts.

I'm sure others will be able to help more.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
n8obu
What radios do you own?: more than i can list

900 mhz

Post by n8obu »

i use an purc 5000 for a transmiter at 200 watts $300. an set of wacom duplexers$100. an scala ant $100. at 160 ft 1.25 $320. for feed line an maxtrac $60.for the reciever and a cellwave preamp$20. i get about 30 miles moble gtx $125 some days better some worse ..there are a few good yahoo groups for 900mhz do a search heres one
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AR902Mhz/
hope this helps mike bayard n8obu
http://n8obu.com

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”