MDC Aliasing and QCII on AS3

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HumHead

Post by HumHead »

OK- While Batlabs was down, I gave up and picked up a VHF Astro Saber III, and have been happily experimenting with it.

Does anyone know which Flash option is required to allow QCII operation?

Also, I have not yet been able to get the MDC ID reverse aliasing to work. The radio will display the Call list text when sending a call, but will not display any ID upon receiving a select call or call alert, and will only display the numeric PTT ID for a regular transmission.

The radio's current FLASH Code is 581001-041A00-1, Firmware version 05.60.00.00, DSP I06.04.12

While the radio will pass it's POST just fine, in diagnostic mode, it displays an "unknwn" between the serial # and the FLASH code. I'm guessing that this is the spot for the vocon size mentioned on the Batlabs page, since I don't see the size anywhere else.

If I'm dealing with a firmware issue, what is required to do a firmware upgrade on the Astro Sabers? I'm familiar with, and set up for, firmware upgrading of the Waris series radios, but I get the impression that these may be a different ballgame entirely

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HumHead on 2002-02-22 02:38 ]</font>
xmo

Post by xmo »

I am afraid you are pretty much out of luck on these issues. Maybe Elroy or one of the real experts will come along with a solution, but as far as I have been able to determine an Astro Saber will not do QCII nor will it display alias text on received PTT ID's.

A friend of mine bought an Astro Saber 3 and I bought a full keypad XTS3000 at Dayton last year. These radios are flashed with everthing but the kitchen sink. They have been a fun learning experience, but we were pretty surprised that simple things like display aliasing aren't in there. I have the RSS manual and these items aren't even in the index.

Crazy how Motorola comes up with each radio's feature set. You can get these things in an MTS2000 or even in an HT1250 but not in their highest tier products. Go figure....
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

That would make me sad.

The CPS help file claims that the radio will reverse alias MDC IDs to the MDC call list. It also lists QuickCall II/Singletone as one of the possible system options for the radio. I'm fairly certain that I have seen some discussion of QCII as one of the few (relatively) inexpensive options that were obtainable to "secondary market" radios. Then again, maybe the RF is starting to affect my brain :smile:

Given that the Batlabs Astro Saber page indicates that Firmware version 05.60.00 should be paired with DSP version R06.05.04, while my radio has DSP I06.04.12 (and an "unknwn" in the diagnosstics), I was wondering if the failure to alias might be due to the firware version. I was also wondering if reverse aliasing might be dependent on a 1Meg vocon, and/or a later firmware release.

I'm also still looking for information on the requirements for a firmware upgrade, if that may be part of the problem.

Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HumHead on 2002-02-23 16:07 ]</font>
xmo

Post by xmo »

I looked at the help in the CPS and I see what you mean - it sure wants you to believe that the aliasing feature will work.

Maybe Elroy has a solution but I don't think your firmware is the issue. My radio has firmware R07.03.00 and DSP R07.03.12 and I can't get it to display anything but the ID number...

Best guess is that it might display the alias on a trunked system and the help file doesn't know the difference... oh well.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

As for firmware upgrades, I faxed Mot an estimate upgrade form asking for an upgrade to 1MEG and to the lastest host/dsp. They faxed back a quote of 1269.00 per unit.

Hmmm
xmo

Post by xmo »

Good heavens! They must really be wanting to make an impact on the corporate bottom line (or run off all the upgrade business)

My radio had version R05.06.00 when I first got it. Then it developed an obscure modulation balance problem so off to the depot it went. They put in the latest firmware & DSP versions, replaced the main casting and RF board & all for the flat rate.

When it comes to Motorola - who can figure.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Yikes is what I said, and I wanted two of them done! I doooooooon't think so.

I did that under my name, I am going to send another one down under the PD account and see if the price changes...
otter9309

Post by otter9309 »

H99 is the QCII flash upgrade from the depot.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Thank You!!!

I'll try to run that down through AAD tommorow. I ran the question by my local dealer's service manager (they don't do much with FLASHport). He was unsure if an upgrade existed, but also thought that if it exists, it might be incompatible with the digital ID display option. If true, this might help explain it's scarcity.

The search continues. More news to follow.......

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”