need help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Screwed

need help

Post by Screwed »

http://www.lcblanton.com/dfw/tx-dps.htm

been so long since i programmed my radio to recieve only.

do i need to have 2 channels 1 for the recieve and 1 for the transmit so i can hear both sides of the conv?

as mobile to mobile 1 chans dift then the other i want to hear both sides of conv
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Just put in the RX frequencies. All you will hear on the transmit side is the broken low power version of the same traffic, that is if you can hear it at all.

mancow
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Not true. DPS here in TX runs duplex, unless they turn the repeater on (which they usually only do during an operation, a chase, etc.) If you want a chance at hearing the mobile side, you'll need to program that into your radio as a second channel.

Standard caveats of needing to be close enough, etc. apply.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

tvsjr wrote:Not true. DPS here in TX runs duplex, unless they turn the repeater on (which they usually only do during an operation, a chase, etc.) If you want a chance at hearing the mobile side, you'll need to program that into your radio as a second channel.
How does everyone other than the dispatcher hear the traffic then? Scan group?
Batphone: BAT-JEDI
tom IL

Post by tom IL »

I think that the idea is that they don't.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

A couple of phrases then come to mind...

Busy lockout...
FM capture...
Cluttered channel...
Dispatcher getting pissed off as someone else keys up during another transmission :)
Batphone: BAT-JEDI
Screwed

Post by Screwed »

so i do it like this

01)
Primary A/Mobile-to-Base
154.680 TX
155.460 RX

and it comes out to be

channel 1 - 154.680 TX
channel 2 - 155.460 RX
Aces-Warehouse

Post by Aces-Warehouse »

If you want to listen to EACH freq, TX and RX as in all RX mode program each TX as a RX without a TX frequency at all.

Example:
CH1 Normal
154.010 RX
154.385 TX

Would be
Ch1
154.010 RX
Ch2
154.385 RX

Get it?
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I have a Bendix/King sp model EPH5991K that was made especially for them. My last trip to TX I tried it with the programming (those freq. pairs) and some were active repeaters. That's why I figured it was a typical setup.

figures........nothing is that simple

mancow
Gerbil
Banned

Post by Gerbil »

welcome to texas. :o
alex wrote:Enough is enough. We aren't the world's police.
Screwed

Post by Screwed »

yeap texas where the idiots live. ive noticed how unorganized DART is with their system layouts
EKLB
Gone...as per his request

Post by EKLB »

Ok hang in here with me on this = I think i can explain whats happening and even give you your answer.

I looked at the webb site you provided per the freqs an ch ect.

Lets just look at ch 1 and ch 2 for this explanation.

On the webb page you provided freq 1 was tx 154.680 with a rx freq of 155.460.

Ok this is whaty appears to be a repeater split for freqs.

So what happens with the mobile/portable when it uses chanel 1 is this:

The mobile txs on freq 154.680 and the repeater hears it on its rx that is setup for freq 154.680 and then takes that audio and the repeater retransmits it (REPEATER) at the repeaters tx freq of 155.460 which just happens to be the mobiles rx freq as well.

So now you see how a repeater works.

Ok if you look at the ch 2 freqs on the page you supplies you will see that the tx and rx freq are the same and it is 155.460

Which would be considered the talk around freq or also mobile to mobile as they described it.

So when the mobile goes to ch 2 and they talk back and forth as tx 155.460 and the other recieves it as 155.460 you are now talking car to car so to speak.

But if you now take notice that this mobile to mobile freq of 155.460 just happens to be the same as the repeaters output freq or retransmit freq youll notice they are the same.

But the repeater didnt retransmit it because it didnt hear it because as explained above the repeaters rx freq is not 155.460 = its 154.680

And since ch 2 didnt tx on the repeaters hearing side input or rx it will not repeat it.

So if you just want to hear both youd only need to program the rx freq of 155.460 since anything said on the other freq would be repeated on this freq any way and of course ch freq is already here as well for the same freq.

Now as long as they are using the same PL/DPL code for both youd be fine otherwise you may want to program two chanels for the same freq but diferent PL/DPL as needed.

If your just using a scanner then go with the one freq and dont worry about the PL/DPL as most scanners dont care.

If youd want to program the radio as rx freq only then with most radios youd leave tx freq empty or type in the word BLANK and program it as such.

Hope thois helps a bit.

EKLB
x1sspic
What radios do you own?: AstroSpectra XTS3K XTS5K APX7K

Post by x1sspic »

NYSP also uses separate freqs for base to car and car to base. I've heard more than one base unit operating at the same time on the base frequency. I've often wondered how the system came to be like that.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”