Spectra VCO Mod?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Big BOB

Spectra VCO Mod?

Post by Big BOB »

I am doing a VCO Mod to a Spectra 900. The first one I had I put the conductive paint on and in minutes it was up and running. The one I am working on now is NOT going as easy.

My question is for everyone out there which is the easiest or most common VCO mod? The one with conductive paint or adding the 100K resistor?
kd6kml

Done both...resistor=easy!

Post by kd6kml »

I have done both. The resistor went reall easy, and that radio worked fine. I tried another one using the silver ink method and had trouble. I think next time if the resistor didn't work, the radio would go back on eBay.

I told the guys no more Spectras, too much work compared to a GTX. I've got 5 Spectras at the shop and probably won't use them unless I really come up short on other stuff.
ALF 935

Spectra VCO HLF6072A mod. 900 MHZ

Post by ALF 935 »

If we're going to use the conductive ink pen, what side should the ink be applied?
I'm looking at the VCO case with pins at top. Rectangular hole in middle of shield. Inside the hole on the board is the VCO strip with what appears to be only one laser cut in middle. Does this cut have to be connected with the conductive pen?
With the aid of a microscope, getting right on the strip shows that it has very micro cuts longways from left to right.
The other question; Is nickel strip repair ok to use as a substitute for the conductive pen?
Thanks.
Jimmy
"well, well, well, A drunk driver doesn't go out and drive once drunk now do they?"

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”