PURC5000 150W PA on 900MHz

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Harmonic Mixer

PURC5000 150W PA on 900MHz

Post by Harmonic Mixer »

I've acquired a PURC5000 150W PA and the power supply and intend to use it as my PA for a 900MHz repeater project here in Northern NJ. I have between 0.5W and 35W available to drive it if needed.

I'm struggling to find out what the "safe" input power is for this thing, and also, what the little 6-thin wire dongle is for hanging out of the heatsink. The input and output coax are the same heavy gauge coax. I'm suspecting that a driver PA is needed, in the area of 50-70 W?

Any advice or experience with this PA would be very appreciated! More updates on when the repeater is on the air.

Many THanks!
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

There are 2 PAs in the PURC/MSF 5000 150 watt station, the upper one is the driver P/A and the bottom one is the final P/A. There is a big difference in them. The driver is a TTF 1242B and the final is the TTF 1212B. The driver accepts 1-4 watts and amps it up to 100 watts or so. This drives the final up to 200 watts or so (150 continuous). If you have a 1212, you'd have to drive it at 100 watts to do anything. If you have a 1242, your 4 watts runs it at a nice 100 watts. The 6 pin Molex connector is for power control. Run outside of a MSF/PURC cabinet, you don't need to connect anything here.

Been maintaining MSF 5K on 900 for years. VERY stable PAs...PROVIDED you run them at rated power and keep the fans running. I will suggest that you run a external circulator on the station in front of the duplexer if you place the repeater at or near a site that has 900 MHz paging or trunking going on. If you are able to hook up to a combiner port, there should be a isolator as well as a cavity...even better.

Good luck with it. If you can find one, the entire MSF 5K makes a GREAT repeater on the 927/902 split. Mine tuned right up, makes 150 watts TX, RX sens is .20uV/20dB SINAD. Haven't tried it on the 12 MHz split though..

Dave
Harmonic Mixer

Post by Harmonic Mixer »

MSS-Dave - Thank you very much for the info. Yep, I am lacking the PURC 5000 driver unit, the missing piece of the puzzle.

The receiver is a 800 maxtrac converted up to 902mhz receive (done by another ham), and the transmitter is a converted spectra. A little RC-1000 controller sits between them. Cavity filters, but no isolator (yet).

I'll begin my search for the driver. If you have any to part with, ok to contact me eric@gmpnetworks.com I'll be watching here and ebay as well.

Thanks! Eric / Harmonic Mixer

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”