Moto CB?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX V/7 & V/U Liberty

Moto CB?

Post by Nexrad16 »

Just for a matter of discussion. How long ago was it that Moto offered a CB radio? The mid 70's?

Hmmmm... 8)
Al

Post by Al »

I have a MoCat model 4020 that's mint and was made in 1973. As I recall, they made several different models, both 40 channel and 26 channel, all in the same time frame - late 1960s through the mid seventies.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Motorola's "other" radios...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

They also made a ham VHF mobile called a Metrum, with 12 channels, all crystal controlled. Ordinary for its time, except that I think it only needed 12 actual crystals and worked repeaters with an offset crystal, sort of like a UHF MX-300.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

Hello:

AND 30 Years later, the Mocat 4000, 4005, 4010, 4020, and
the System 550 SSB radios are still the " Best Sounding "
and have outstanding performace.

I realize that most persons no longer care for CB
however, I still have a Major Client that still uses
CB to Route Concret Delivery Trucks to a State
Agency, and CB is Required.

They are responsible for the Concret foundations on
the Freeways thoughout California

And, Most of the Commerical Mics are compatable
with the Mocats, in the event your mic is defective.

Monty
Last edited by Monty on Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Need help on a Program Cable or (/\/\) Rib Box ?
Contact me anytime/All availible / Free Support Info !

mail to: MSisco9939@aol.com
PLease avoid PM's whenever possible. Box gets too full.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I don't know if this counts, but /\/\ currently sells the CB PRO handheld in Australia and New Zealand, for our 477MHz UHF CB. It looks like a GP2000.
Will

Post by Will »

If I remember a long time ago, the automotive radio division made the Mocat radios. One of the best CB radios.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

If I remember a long time ago, the automotive radio division made the Mocat radios. One of the best CB radios.
You are correct Will, the Automotive Group did make the Mocat. However that was AFTER the Communications Group did all the initial planning, engineering, proto-typing & manufacturing. You guys remember that group don't you? They brought you other things at that time too, loke Micor, Mocom, MCR100, Metrocom.... They also developed the first Motorola cell phones. By the way the Mocat came out in mid-70's.
They also made a ham VHF mobile called a Metrum, with 12 channels
The Metrum was actually based on the Marine radio (Nautilus).
Dave
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I repaired thousands of CBs.. don't remember Mocats being one of the best.. they were rather plain vanilla.. not bad but not great..

Main thing I remember about them is they had a little choke that fed voltage to the mic that always burned up and was a royal pain to get to to replace.

IIRC the synthesiser on them was all discrete logic chips instead of a dedicated sythesiser IC like most CBs used.
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

What was the radio the Mocat shared a case with? Got a wave of nostalgia the other day and put the 4020 back in the truck.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Maxar or Moxy case
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Have a Moxy in the fire house. It has a gray case and the front is different. Must be the Maxar. Thanks.
Scrotumola

Post by Scrotumola »

My Parents brought a brand new at the time 1981 Mercury full sized station wagon (A Colony something or other) that had a /\/\otorola manufactured 40 ch. CB as one of the purchased factory options. It had a HHCH that was very probably a predecessor to the Spectra/Syntor HHCH. The audio was routed through the stereo system and the antenna was shared with the factory am/fm antenna. I remember back then snooping around the car and finding that the 'trunk unit' was located in a rear storage compartment on the opposite side of the tire carrier.

~S~
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

I saw a cool Motorola CB on eBay a long LONG time ago. It had an actual hand held control unit just as the Spectras instead it had a brushed metal finish. I should have bought the thing but I felt $50 was too much for it at the time.
wb0qqk
Batboard $upporter

Post by wb0qqk »

The Mocat 4009 was real popular with most police agencies
because it had a complete separate receiver on Channel 9.
Motorola even offered them at a state bid price. The radio
also boasted an "Extender" noise blanker that worked good.
Fator nusquam. Denego omnis. Requiro testimonium. Genero Reverto-Criminatio!"

(Admit nothing. Deny everything. Demand proof. Make Counter-Allegations!)
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Al wrote:I have a MoCat model 4020 that's mint and was made in 1973. As I recall, they made several different models, both 40 channel and 26 channel, all in the same time frame - late 1960s through the mid seventies.

I believe you mean 23 channel. If you find a 26 channel CB, let me know!

I do, however, have a 24 channel CB. Old (tube!) Cobra 23 channel. When you go to the normal "blank" between channels 21 & 22 (or was it 22 & 23?), it is on channel 24 in the 40 channel band. Cool, huh?
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”