Yet another version of ASTRO CPS!!!

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radioswapper

Post by radioswapper »

I just received yet another version of ASTRO CPS. This one is CPS Version R01.02.00 with a DOS RSS Version of R09.02.00.

I put the CPS CD into my computer to read the "readme.txt" file because I wanted to see what was new with this version.

The funny thing that I noticed was that the "readme.txt" file on the Version R01.02.00 was for the previous R01.01.00 version! It was even labeled for R01.01.00.
So I don't know what is new with this version.

Anyone else getting tired of uninstalling and reinstalling the ASTRO CPS software?

-Don
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Don't feel too bad, I received the updates for MTS2000, MCS2000, Astro CPS, and HT/CDM/MTX.LS all on the same day!! I don't even bother installing the latest unless it enables a feature I need, fixes a bug, or when my current version can't program a new radio from the factory. Installing the latest & greatest isn't always a good thing. For example, the "hot mic" feature was inadvertently left out of the DOS Astro v9.00.00, so v9.01.00 had to come out within weeks to fix that. Also, programming your MTS/MCS radios with any versions equal to or higher than 5.05.00 (MCS) or 6.05.00 (MTSX) is a bad thing, if your radio gets inhibited, the RSS will not revive it like it could in the past. Just something to think about, instead of automatically doing it.

Todd
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I think I stopped installing the new updates at version 8.6, and I'm going to have to re-clone my UHF radios with their original codeplugs because I tried them with CPS, and now they don't work right! CPS is incompatible with early release firmware, as it turns out!

If you don't NEED the changes in the new software, DON'T use the new software!

Elroy
Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny »

What is the earliest version of radio firmware that CPS supports?

Bugs
motsaber99

Post by motsaber99 »

I haven't been able to confirm this. But I talked to a salesman at the local shop after I got my last update. He stated that moto has put a cookie in there software. If you install it on a computer that is also used on the internet. It will send this cookie to motorola each time you log on. If you load it on two different computers with interenet connections then both computers send the cookie. Motorola then can tell how many computers the program with that serial number is on. I am trying to confirm this but if anyone know for sure please let us know.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Sounds like a load of bull to me. Let me explain why: I run a firewall, and any program that wants to send any data has to go through that firewall first. If any program that is not in the 'approved' list attempts to send anything, even one bit, the firewall intercepts it and asks if the transaction is allowed. I certainly don't have internet access enabled for any RSS or CPS, and the firewall has never asked for any from those programs.

Also, since CPS comes on CD-Rom, you can't serialize each copy. They're stamped out like coins. They're all identical to the last bit.

Your leg has been pulled. Don't buy it.

Elroy
Chris

Post by Chris »

Not to mention that this feature would be illegal.
motsaber99

Post by motsaber99 »

Well you never can tell about motorola. I have heard that from two different people now. But I don't use the same computer for the interenet and programming. But thought it was interesting to say the least.
DACS_IV

Post by DACS_IV »

Unless you're running corporate-level firewall proggies, I wouldn't be so sure about the firewall, Elroy. We've had things slip thru some of the mid-tier firewalls. Also, does the CPS ask for the registration # upon installing the CPS? If so, then that info is stored on the PC and -can- be sent to Motorola when you log onto the Internet. While not exactly legal in all states, if you don't know about it, then they're getting away with it.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Almost guaranteed crap. I run both Zone Alarm & Norton Internet Security-Corporate Edition & have never had any version CPS try to send out anything. Also, CPS doesn't ask for any type of activation or serial number upon installation that I recall.

Todd
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

How could there POSSIBLY be a registration or serial number on a disc that's stamped out by the thousands using a stamping process with but one master stamper?

All the discs are IDENTICAL in their data content if it's the same software release.

No large production software on CD-ROM is burned one copy at a time. They're stamped out like some cookies or vinyl LP's, for those of you who are old enough to remember them like me.

Microsoft's discs are the same way, but they put a registration number decal on the package, which is mathematical in nature and the installer includeds the key decoding software internally.

Elroy
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

He didn't say there was a serial number on the disk. He was saying if it asked for a number to be input during the install, that number could be used for tracking purposes & sent to Motorola. You said the same thing for Microsoft.

Todd
ASTRO_25
Batboard $upporter

Post by ASTRO_25 »

On 2002-02-03 19:02, Elroy Jetson wrote:
Sounds like a load of bull to me. Let me explain why: I run a firewall, and any program that wants to send any data has to go through that firewall first. If any program that is not in the 'approved' list attempts to send anything, even one bit, the firewall intercepts it and asks if the transaction is allowed. I certainly don't have internet access enabled for any RSS or CPS, and the firewall has never asked for any from those programs.
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a firewall. You can firewall everythinhg all day and log every transaction. BUT, if CPS puts a cookie on your computer, then all you have to do is visit a web site that looks for that specific cookie. That info would be transmitted just like any other cookie's information - thru http header traffic.

That means they could track computers that have CPS installed on them. You would have to visit a web site that tried to locate that specific cookie - but that might be as simple as visiting any Motorola site that is setup to look for it....

The way that someone need to check and see if CPS is installing a cookie on the workstation is to use an imaging tool that take a before/after snapshot and logs ALL changes to a machines file system by the CPS installation routine.
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

There are programs out there to manage cookies. They may give more info about specific cookies, plus firewalls like Norton's Internet Security can regulate cookie usage. Same thing for the newer versions of Internet Explorer.

I'd simply backup my cookies, delete the originals, then run CPS and see if one is created. The cookie idea is rather ridiculous IMO. They assume every RSS/CPS computer will have net access and browse the web? I think this is just a case of paranoia.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I personally wouldn't freak over it anyway, because all my RSS and CPS is totally legit. I've got moths in my wallet to prove it!

Besides, I have all cookies disabled and an extra program running to watch for and destroy all cookies. AdSubtract.

And I'm quite willing to yank the ethernet cable out of the cablemodem at any time for
extreme privacy.

Elroy
kb1dvg

Post by kb1dvg »

As far as the Motorola CPS is concerned some times you have no choice to use the latest version. I bought an 800mhz Astro XTS3000 MFG 10/01 from someone and I went to use my Ver 9.xx it wouldn't work. I had to spend over $400.00 for the CPS/RSS RVN4184C, Which is bullcrap...Motorola told me Point Blank, Since I'm not a Government/Municipal Employee who has a valid reason for having this radio they weren't going to support me with the CPS...GO FIGURE...Now I think I'm going to send it back and get my money refunded, Credit cards are good for something...:razz: To Motorola

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kb1dvg on 2002-03-19 01:45 ]</font>
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

They've never told me any such things. But then, my Astros are VHF and UHF and I DO have a valid reason for having them...because I wanted them! Plus I'm a ham and they're the best ham HT's on the market!

Never mention 800 MHz to them. Your radios are all VHF or UHF, where they can be satsified that you have a legitimate use for them. That's your story and you're sticking to it.

Elroy
R2670

Post by R2670 »

just my 14.20 (todays MOT stock price)worth

He talked to a salesmen (= bullshitter),
some people like to try to scare away the
uniformed hobby types because they are not making any money from them.
Due to falling stock ,large layoffs ,poor sales ,and worrys of loss of income or jobs;
these sales people need to study their products and sale what works best for the client. They should not be making untrue statements about the company they rep. This causes untrust aimed at motorola (or any company for that matter)and can not help their company in the long run.

I worked for radio common carrier in the 70-80's and we had sales people that worked 60+
hours a week ..........they drove caddys.
kb1dvg

Post by kb1dvg »

Hello guys. I was wondering if you could offer FREE Motorola RSS to people or would that be against policy? I have more than I know what to do with and I'm not looking to cause any problems here. Let me know. Joe...
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

No, you can't do that here. Don't even ask or your posts will be deleted by me!

I also have a pile of Astro software disks building up. Three versions of CPS, SEVEN sets of DOS RSS disks (in six versions), and I haven't even bothered to install anything since 9.00.00 and CPS 1.00.00.

My fleet of radios is very stable...that is, I have a certain amount of radios and it's not likely to change. I haven't any reason at all to install newer software when I've never noticed anything wrong with the older stuff...and in fact, some newer software isn't compatible with radios with old firmware.

I wonder what would happen if I returned my latest update, unopened, and tried to get my money back?

Anyway, according to your licensing agreement, I believe that you're required to keep your original discs, and when/if you surrender your RSS license, you have to turn in every set of disks they sent you. Maybe provide proof they were destroyed, otherwise.
But you can't give them away or sell them.

Elroy

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”