Sp 50 ???

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ackleyfan

Sp 50 ???

Post by ackleyfan »

Will these two radios work well together,I have a sp 50 VHF, Part #P93YQT00A2AA, and I'm thinking about buying a used radio,part# P93YQT20A2AA,in VHF to use with my sp50 ,will I have any problems? Thanks, Dave
EKLB
Gone...as per his request

Post by EKLB »

The SP50 radio with the 20 in the model number is wide band .

The SP50 radio with the 00 in the model number is narrow band.

If you leave them set for deviation as 2.5 versus the other set at 5 then yes youll more than likely notice a diference.

They will talk to each other but not as well as youd prefer.

I have taken the GP300 portable in narrow band and adjusted it from 2.5 to 5.0 deviation setting and it did seem to make the customer happy.

I only done that as a test and was hoping hed be happy withn the end results.

I did not sell him the radio (He bought it off of EBAY) so this was an attempt to help him out with the mismatch .

He was happy with the end result = not saying i was sastisfied but it did improve.

This was a simplex UHF radio to radio freq (Not on a repeater) and his original radios were wide band so the narrow band was adjusted up to the 5.0 to help match .

Its not my recomondation to do this to yours unless your stuck with the radio.

Balls in your court /you decide.

EKLB
ackleyfan

Post by ackleyfan »

Thanks,EKLB by the way ,which band is better narrow or wide? thanks dave T.
EKLB
Gone...as per his request

Post by EKLB »

I personaly like the wide band as its most popular at the moment and compatible with many at this point in time.

However be aware that the FCC has proposed and set a dead line date to eliminate the wide band 25 khz radios and pushing all into the 12.5 narrow band to make twice the freq ch available.

This dead line was 10 years last time i heard say 2 years ago or so.

So figure posibly 8 years or less your wide band will be no longer allowed .

Granted many will say the FCC has post poned the dead line and many other claims ect.

My info as a FCC coordinator was that this was on a per situation basis and may or may not apply.

So im not 100 percent sure id care to say the wide band will remain or not.

Best bet would be to go the 12.5 narrow band just in case.

Or consider purchasing for example a Motorola 1225 mobile or portable as they will program to eigther narrow band 12.5 or 25 khz wide band by simply selecting the setting you need = its built into the radio both ways.

Also be aware that many companies built the crystal to swap a 25 wide to narrow operation for many radio types on a per order basis.

CES is one company that does this.

Motorola does have narrow band conversion kits for many of its radios such as the Maxtrac and GP300 and P110 that are available as well.

If you search my posts you will run across a posting i had on the 25 to 12.5 conversion process.

My stand is that i feel 12.5 WILL in fact be placed into effect in time and as such i have already put into stock conversion kits for the Motorola products i feel i will have to deal with when the time comes.

Be assured ive been wrong before on things as far as the FCC rulings and could be wrong on the 12.5 issue but i wouldnt bet against it.

Just as a closing coment = The FCC has already issued 12.5 licenses which require 12.5 narrow band radios .

And aparenty you yourself just ran into one of the 12.5 radios which is intended to be used with just those licenses.

Also if you wanted you could order the 12.5 filter crystal for the SP50 and the other components that made the SP50 a narrow band rather than wide band for future conversion if you were so inclined.

If you want to pursue this option id call Motorola at 1-800-422-4210 and ask for parts ID and give the individual your SP50 model number and ask them if they have a complete conversion kit for your radio that goes from a 25 khz wide band to 12.5 narrow band.

You probably wont be able to buy it without a MOL account but if you get the part number many here including myself can order it for you.

Oh yeah welcome to the real confusing world of radio / I think :wink:

EKLB
ackleyfan

Post by ackleyfan »

Thanks for the explanation,I have a narrow band #P93YQT00A2AA,I'm trying to buy another radio to use with mine,would it be cost effective to buy a wide band and switch it to narrow band with the conversion kit, there seems to be more wide bands on ebay,Thanks again for taking the time to respond!! Dave T.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”