MPL on Astro Saber III?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

Post by d119 »

Is there any way to enable User-Selectable Multiple PL (MPL) on the Astro Saber III? My regular clear Saber III has it, but can my Astro Saber III do it? And how?

~119~
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Sorry to say, but to my knowledge the astro saber and astro spectra DO NOT support MPL. If there is some way I would like to know to.

Jason
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

I was wondering that the other day myself...
Depending on how may modes (channels) you currently have in the unit, you could possibly just add a bunch of the same modes but with different pl's to suit your needs.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Nope. That feature was never made available on any Astro portable product...and it won't be if some large agency places an order and demands that feature.

Too bad. It's the single feature I'd really like to have that's not available on Astros.

I'd like to see unlimited MPL. All tones, both PL and DPL, user selectable...and with PL scanning to display the PL in use on any given channel, too!

Elroy
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

Elroy, Do you think it ever possible to make the DPL/PL decode as a flash option, possibly by adding a board in place of the secure modult, or b/p module.??

Just a thought....
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

No extra hardware should be necessary. The hardware is CAPABLE of handling MPL without any trouble. It's all just data and a PL/DPL encoder/decoder.

I don't doubt for a moment that it would be relatively easy for a qualified engineer to develop an MPL firmware and flash update package and integrate it into a new software release.
RADIO_MAN

Post by RADIO_MAN »

The ASTRO Saber II and III can be ordered from Motorola with that option. However it is not very popular due to the fact that this radio was intended for Mostly Digital systems. I have repaired several of these radios which have the MPL option.

R
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Really? :o Tell me more! Option numbers, whatever. Last I talked to the product group they said it was not available for the radio and there's no trace of that feature in Astro RSS. So if it exists, it either takes special RSS or it's a totally self-contained feature like the keypad selectable transmit inhibit feature.

Elroy
RADIO_MAN

Post by RADIO_MAN »

The radios that I have worked on have an option in the RSS that allows you to enable MPL. The verson of the RSS required is an SP version that is no longer availiable. This option was developed for a single large customer only (Uncle Sam).

R

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”