Astro Saber II to III

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Astrosaber

Astro Saber II to III

Post by Astrosaber »

My Astro Saber Model II housing was starting to get bunged up, so I re-housed it into a Model III housing.

What do I need to do to enable a hot keypad for calling and paging IDs not in my list? I tried an archive search, but I’m obviously not searching on the right keywords.
Astrosaber

Post by Astrosaber »

Anybody? Buehler?
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

it need to have a model III codeplug for "unlimited" and all that.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Yeah - you will need to get the software in your radio upgraded to model III. One way requires some very illegal software, and the other is to send it back to motorola for an upgrade...

Cheers,
Matt
Astrosaber

Post by Astrosaber »

Hmmm... I was told years ago that the II and III were identical except for the case - bummer.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

I upgraded a model II to a model III a couple months ago. The model II comes with the keypad overlay (the buttons) for all 18 keys not just the 6. If you go from a model I to a model II the front shield is the same you just need to buy the keypad overlay from motorola for about $10.

When I upgraded the radio it already had a model III codeplug b/c I had also replaced the vocon so all I had to do was change the case.

So, yes, physically the only difference is the case.

In summary:
Model I to III - needs keypad overlay, LCD display, codeplug change
Model II to III - needs new case, codeplug change

Hope that helps,

Mike

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”