Help on programing Kenwood TK3107

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kurt

Help on programing Kenwood TK3107

Post by kurt »

Hi,
I have two Kenwood TK3107, I have downl.software KPG55d and make a programing cable KPG-22 but no succses. I can't read the radio it says CHECK CONNECTION :evil: . I have check everything, the software is a DOS so I'm runing a win 98 on MSDOS, I'v check the COM1 port its fine to, does anyone know how this radios are posible to program them, I have try for 5 days :( to make this happend but no luck :( then I give it up :( . If anyone knows about these radios :evil: ...please share it with as. :lol:

Thanks. :wink: :wink: :wink:
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

Make sure you are using DOS in a true boot up fashion and not just through windows.

If you use the DOS through windows it will not work sometimes. This is due to windows causing noise on COMM 1. -That was from a KEnwood tech directly.

When your computer starts to boot up right away starting pushing the F8 key until it gives you a boot-up option. Then look but you should have to push SHIFT + F5 and then it will give you true a DOS boot.

In addition make sure you have a true Kenwood cable. I have noticed and heard that some schematics on home brew cables do not work.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
jim

Post by jim »

Make sure that you aren't using a cable from "Ed's 2way." I went through a pile of them at first and they were all :o.

Get real Kenwood interface and cables.
kurt

Post by kurt »

Thanks for advice about DOS but I'm really running on true boot and not through windows.
I made a prog cable by my self using schematics I have found on the web but I will appreciate if someone have a working prog cable and send me some specification or schematics and I will made one because the place I am located it's impossible to get one original.
(All Motorola cable made by my self and they work fine)
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

Yes most likely all the Motorola cables that you have made will and do work fine. The main reason for this is that a motorola cable is just usually a connection between the RIB and the radio.

In Kenwoods case there is no RIB involved per say.

If you look a Kenwood made cable you will see that there is a circuit board within the DB25 connector. Thus no need for an external RIB box as one is built within the connecotr.

In turn a lot of schematics out there for Kenwood cables lack the components for what is located within the connector.

As for being to far away no Kenwood dealer is to far away. You can easily can kenwood directly or a dealer and order the cable and software.

In addition the software and cables are a hell of a lot cheaper then /\/\ cables and software.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I bet it's just a MAX232 or similar, and other passive bits. 90% of radio manufacturers use pretty much the same thing.
KA0SQO

Post by KA0SQO »

To clear up the Kenwood cables not having a RIB of sorts YES they do have a level converter inside the little DB-9 box. No its not a true RIB in the Motorola sense but it is a radio interface box if you will.

As for the specifics in your programming failure Im not sure what the issue is. Does the Tx/Rx light blink red at all meaning a data connection was made or just sit dumb? Ive had similar issues programming TK-880s where the computer would go through the program radio, include DTMF then freeze up saying the cable connection was bad yet the radio displayed PROGRAMMING, all I have to do is cycle the power on the radio and it takes the programming (KPG49D ver 3.01) I dont remember if the 3107 needed a button sequence like the TK-353 of holding MON+A buttons and powering on so you're on your own there. The last issue however is with the accy jacks themselves. They are notorious for breaking inside and even a little resistance will prevent the radio from swallowing the data, I would check everything else before diving into the accy jacks on these.

Im a former Kenwood tech from a long established Kenwood service shop, believe me they make programming an X-9000 look like a piece of cake! I do however like the TK series mobiles over the new generation M equipment.

KAØSQO

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”