Q: Honda Element Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

phantomspook
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Q: Honda Element Install

Post by phantomspook »

I am considering installing an led lightbar, strobes and siren box in an Honda Element.

Has anyone here seen or installed into such an vehicle before?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I assume you're just pulling our chain...
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

install....on an element? This is like the guy who wanted to install a 100watt spectra & siren and corner strobes into a hybrid.

Honestly, that thing DOES NOT have the lines to have a lightbar on it. It already looks like a a cube.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

That deserves the "Wannabe of the Century Award:" A Honda Element econobox with a light bar! It would be sacraligious to even put an ASTRO Spectra in that thing!
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

This is not an hybrid.

This customer is an private paramedic/ambulance service.
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

This is for their supervisor vehicle. This client does contract armed mall security/paramedic services.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Now that's RICH: An ambulance supervisor in a Honda Element!

Only a rent-a-cop would have so low a self esteem as to place a lightbar atop a Honda Element.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

Don't shoot the installer, I just do what I'm told and get paid for it. Just soliciting installation help.

They have an fleet of 10 Honda Elements for their patrol duties and medic supervisors. I heard they got the local Honda dealer to give them an really good price on the fleet.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Re: Q: Honda Element Install

Post by fire_master_21 »

phantomspook wrote:I am considering installing an led lightbar, strobes and siren box in an Honda Element.

Has anyone here seen or installed into such an vehicle before?
Thats almost as bad as the motor cycle I saw this weekend in Laughlin NV. River Run that had a full vector amber deck on it I was LMMFAO that i couldn't tell what kind of bike it was. But I tried to find it agian to no avail.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I hope you're going to bore out the engine to handle the extra drag and upgrade the suspension to handle the weight. Might need an extra gas tank too!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Do them a favor - make the lighting all covert. People will laugh less at them.

I'm not sure I could pull over for a code 3 Element... I'd be laughing too hard. :lol:
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

The paint scheme on the units is white.

Tell me what you guys think?...I spec them the following:

Whelen Dash-King Double Head Remote Strobe
Reinstall exsisting Spectra A9 & A7 units with DEK sirenbox, etc. from current jeep fleet into new fleet.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Can't hate the guy for having caught this job to do. I'm sure he needs his paycheck too. But that is one friggin UGLY car! I can't imagine lights on it.

Armed security and paramedic service all in one. In an Element. Wow.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

The dopiest setup I had seen is a full lightbar on a Lincoln Town Car.
Turned out to be the buff owner of an ambulance service. The Element sounds like a close 2nd. Don't beat the Phantom man, maybe he'll post a photo when he does this.
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

One of the local VFD guys has a light bar and siren on a geo metro. Quite a site.
Gary N8EMR
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

But guys wait...an Honda Element is SUVish compared to an full lightbar on an Lincoln Towncar (ugly and silly) and GeoMetro...now that's even more embarassing....atleast the Element has 160hp compared to the geometro.
PriorityOne

Post by PriorityOne »

phantomspook wrote:Tell me what you guys think?...I spec them the following:
Whelen Dash-King Double Head Remote Strobe
Reinstall exsisting Spectra A9 & A7 units with DEK sirenbox, etc. from current jeep fleet into new fleet.
Wait I thought you were in this as an installer to make money right? So why would you just install a piece of sh*t dash-king and a few radio re-installs. For christs sake, quote them on Whelen Liberty Lighbars for all of the fleet, along with Talon's in the windows, and hide-a-ways all over the place. Tell em it'll look real "nice". And Im not sure where your from, but paramedic units here need all the warning power they can get. Sell em the shirt off your back!

I once had a customer have me whack out his Honda CRV to high heaven with lights and although is was retarded to do a vehicle like that, I gladly took that check.
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

You are right, I should sell them the heaven mutiplied by 10x...but then maybe they might google and findout I really took them for a ride. Originally I had spec them those EP911 led lightbars, dash king, rear arrow directional bar.

These guys are incredibly great customers, 50% down and 40% at completion, 10% holdback contigency for 30 days. They are repeat customers with a fleet of over 30 ambulances and 100 vehicles. Thats why I don't rip them off.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

No offense, but I just can't imagine anyone taking a Honda Element econobox w/ a light bar seriously! Seems like uncontrollable laughter would break out when this thing drives by, especially if it had the light bar lit up. I mean, who the heck would pull over for that joke of an emergency vehicle?! Perhaps the Oscar-Meyer wiener bus? Folks would assume it's either some kid horsin' around, or a wannabe mall security guard blowhard. I really thought this was a joke or a troll post, etc. but I guess it takes all kinds! Glad to hear this at least creates some install income!
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

After seeking some seriously really good feedback from you all here I've re-specd them the dashkings, grille lights and strobe/flashers.

I'll order the equip and begin the install probably in early May since I need time to yank the spectras over a few weekends.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Please post the pics of the completed install. However, I don't think anyone on the Net outside of the Batboard will believe they are not Photoshop hoaxes.
WhelenTech

Good plan...

Post by WhelenTech »

We spec a Traffic advisor in the back window and TIR3 Whelen LED in the Grill - I think a large bar on this application (as stated here) makes the driver feel like they are trying to prove something... like putting a supercharger on a Yugo...

We also did Jeep Liberty's like that - but I know for a fact that the City of LA new Parking vehicles will be using Mini Liberty LED bars and I believe those are on hybrids..
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Screw LEDs, put a Code360 on it :lol:
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

mr.syntrx wrote:Screw LEDs, put a Code360 on it :lol:
Nah... FedSig Smart Vector. The engine couldn't handle the wind drag, and the suspension couldn't handle the extra weight. The alternator would probably freak out, too...

I like my new truck... 260A of DC goodness!
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

tvsjr wrote:
Nah... FedSig Smart Vector. The engine couldn't handle the wind drag, and the suspension couldn't handle the extra weight. The alternator would probably freak out, too...

Curious to see what happens if you also installed a federal Q on it and let it peak out! :o
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

And train horns!
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

lets really kill it. put growlers on all four wheels.....the drag coefficient of those things would stall it.

man, this topic went o/t fast :)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

jedi_saber wrote:
tvsjr wrote:

Curious to see what happens if you also installed a federal Q on it and let it peak out! :o
I could get by with that... and have considered it! With the Element, the Q wouldn't spin... the little car is so light, the Q would stay in place and the rest of the vehicle would spin. Whee!
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Perhaps one should disassemble a Q and put the fan section onto the hubcaps and have them act as "screaming spinners". How pimp. 8)
ROOFLIFECO
Banned

Post by ROOFLIFECO »

Theres a guy in Colorado, I don't remember the exact l location, whom is a firefighter and has a fed. sig mechanical, not electronic, Q2B mounted on the bumper of his VW bug! I will see if I can't snap a picture because it is quite humorous to see. No lights, nothin else except a HUGE Q2B siren mounted on the bumber. He does let it "coast" every now and then, however the battery is totally drained every time :lol:
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

jedi_saber wrote:Perhaps one should disassemble a Q and put the fan section onto the hubcaps and have them act as "screaming spinners". How pimp. 8)
Now that's an interesting idea. Can't wait until the first one is pulled over in CA...
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

ROOFLIFECO wrote:Theres a guy in Colorado, I don't remember the exact l location, whom is a firefighter and has a fed. sig mechanical, not electronic, Q2B mounted on the bumper of his VW bug! I will see if I can't snap a picture because it is quite humorous to see. No lights, nothin else except a HUGE Q2B siren mounted on the bumber. He does let it "coast" every now and then, however the battery is totally drained every time :lol:
right.
what's the initial drain on a real Q? 150 amps?
:o
x1sspic
What radios do you own?: AstroSpectra XTS3K XTS5K APX7K

Post by x1sspic »

Bwahahahahaha

I'm sure if it could crank up, the VW would would start tracking off center 8)
EOppegaard

Post by EOppegaard »

The element could handle the draw...I would imagine...I have a 93 Subaru Legacy wagon with a lightbar...yes, screams whacker...

Why does the person need a lightbar to begin with? Is it a primary response vehicle? If it is only being used in the private sector, such as in a mall parking lot, I would imagine one does not need a great deal of warning power...if any.

Just throw a talon on the dash, and if you want to go overboard, hideaways in the rear and front corner lights...that should do more than enough for a mall parking lot

Eric Oppegaard
Where's Oppie?
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

hey EO...consider the source.
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

x1sspic wrote:Bwahahahahaha

I'm sure if it could crank up, the VW would would start tracking off center 8)
start tracking off center? it would wrench the frame apart! :lol: :lol: :lol:
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
b7spectra
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, Sabers, Spectras

Post by b7spectra »

This morning on the way to work, I was behind not one, but two Honda CR-V's with what looked like Federal Street-Hawks on them! They are on Simon Security vehicles (for a local mall).
/\/\|k.e
phantomspook

Post by phantomspook »

Okay guys there you go.....before I had a chance to do any pictures...someone else saw them in use.
b7spectra

Post by b7spectra »

Alright, I got a little silly and decided to play with my PaintShop program and, oh, no, it's a police Element!!!!!!!

/\/\|k.e
akardam

Post by akardam »

*falls over laughing*

Great ps job, by the way. I'd say the only thing that makes it look a little odd is there's no drop shadow under the bar. Other than that, at first glance, I thought it was a real job.
dawson75
What radios do you own?: the kind you talk on

Post by dawson75 »

i like the hawaii plate with all the snow around .... lol

i dont think it looks that bad ... hehe
b7spectra

Post by b7spectra »

I was wondering when someone would catch that! I'm going to try and play around a little bit more and add the shadows as well as different angles and styles!
/\/\|k.e
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

go with the Whelen Liberty Bar the new ones with out a Ballast less weight. Plus the Corner LEDs Double as Cruise lights

and low power drain for get that 911EP Crap
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Just for FYI, Grove Park Inn in Asheville NC has a green whelen 9000 on a Scion cargo box. I've got the picture somewhere :lol:
familo77

Post by familo77 »

I will revert to a statement I have used previously:

Put a rotator on the Element, turn it on, and with the truck spin while the light stays centered.

Seriously though, can you imagine one of these POS's with, say, a Streethawk on it?
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

1200x1600, so not hotlinked.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/299944-big.JPG

Smaller pic :lol: 600x450

c17loadsmasher

Post by c17loadsmasher »

I don't think anyone could feel like a man and drive one of those.
Plain language is the DEVIL. Ten-Codes Forever!!!
emt_toronto

Post by emt_toronto »

I was driving up dufferin street in toronto and at a red light saw a toronto fire department Honda Element in the left hand turn lane... i didnt get a pic but i will see if i can soon, but it had a LED lightbar on it. I have no idea why TFD has one but i thought i would just share that little bit of info
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

how does that roof support that diamond plate??? bwaaahahahahhahahahaha....

that's great.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”